Giant Road E+ 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
Man, love the look of that bike. How did the carbon frame feel?
It felt really strong & composed, it has the isospeed which takes out most of the bumps making it a smooth ride.
I would go tubeless & be even better, my first ride on a Bosch motor & a SCRAM groupset quite pleased,
I was hoping to get a good ride out today but storm Hanna is kicking off.

TyrannosaurusTreks

49362114-F2E4-401D-AEBE-EAAE6F4F34E5.jpeg

Left at 7am this morning with sunshine, straight away the trek felt good to ride & once over 16mph very little or no resistance from the motor.
The bike was quite happy sailing along at 20mph on the flat, I decided to head up cheddar gorge for a test on the Bosch performance line speed motor & a 11 speed scram groupset, it felt quite strong right up to the last left hand bend which is the steepest & power did drop a little but I did still have a 2 lower gears to go.
The giant with 20NM more torque makes it up easier but it was fine, the scram is very precise with the 2 click system & all operated on just the right shifter.
The domane+ comes with Schwalbe G-One Speed, aramid bead, TL Easy, 700c35c tyres which are quite noisy but might be better tubeless, when riding through the rough surface on country lanes it feels very planted & a pleasure to ride.
My ride was 34 miles with 2000ft elavation using 2 of 5 bars of battery life so around 40 miles left in tour mode, I didn’t use turbo .
It has a comfy seat & bars, the display is very easy to read even in sunshine & the cockpit is virtually cable free so looks great.
The one thing I didn’t like about the giant was all the untidy cables, so I’m very pleased with it & just waiting to here from the shop what £££ I need to make the change.

TyrannosaurusTreks

150 trouble free miles in what a joy to ride.
Booked in for first (free) service today & having tyres made tubeless.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Retail over here is £5250, I added £700 to the money I paid for the giant £2200 so £2900 I got the trek for.
I think the shop might of helped a bit?.
Are you thinking of getting one Proton?.
And thanks for thinking of my new username

proton666

Glad you like the name!

I would love to get one of these.

As you know, I'm not a fan of the general look of the Giant. On the other hand, nothing out there can beat the performance to range ratio of the Giant. Also, can't justify, yet, dumping the giant because selling it would not bring in much so kinda want to ride it into the ground.

Having said all that, I would buy it in a blink if I could get it at the price you payed ;). My shop is still pushing the Bianchi and the Pinarello I tried earlier this year but both of those cost $7.8K+!

They say they will have a demo model in next week and I can take it for a spin. Hopefully I can say something like "well if they can deal with Brexit and offer that price on a US bike surely you can do better..." lol . Shaming tips welcome.

Last edited:

proton666

Take it out next week & see what you think of it, I take it the bike will do 25mph in us compared to our 15.5^_^

Finally got to ride the Trek. Got to say, it didn’t disappoint. The smooth ride has to be the highlight for me. Even better than my old reliable Cervelo R3. Next, the clean look is just what I like. Not like the spaghetti monster Giant.

I took it out on my favorite 35 mile loop (about 2700’ of climbing).

It performed well but it was clear that battery anxiety was going to be an issue. Some of my favorite rides are 60 to 70 miles with 5700+’ of climbing and while you need some mindfulness with Giant I fear that with the Trek all I would be thinking about is the battery. A spare battery would alleviate that but would bump up the already hefty price so ouch!

But the thing that I really missed was the power of the Giant. When you start a climb on the Giant, and you drop it down a gear, you get that kick in the pants like a coach pushing you hard, yelling at you to “go, go, go…” And you really want that feeling again and so you push for it.

With the Trek it’s more like someone pats you on the back and says “well done mate…” And I kinda just want to sit back and relax. Arguably not a bad thing. It’s just the lingering competitive rider in me that likes that extra motivational push the Giant gives.

I then got laughed out the door trying to negotiate a lower price so I hopped on the Giant and I guess I will stay on it until either it or me brakes at which point I will reevaluated all the offerings again.

Top Bottom