Giant SCR 2.0 purchased

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had to pull the cranks off to get the pedals loose, they were nicely seized on :laugh: This highlighted a few things - sand coming out of a bottom bracket is never a good sign, and the rear rim is quite thin. I've had a re-think and will replace the wheels in case I want to use it on the road on occasion. I found some super cheap ones on Amazon with Shimano hubs and random rims I'd not heard of but they'll do for the turbo :laugh: I'm also looking at how cheaply I can pick up the bits to go 2x11 - I've already got a bargain pair of 105 5800 mechs en route from eBay for £19.50 :okay::laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Re-think complete. I was planning on upgrading chainset and cassette on the Bianchi (currently Ultegra and 105 respectively) so I've moved that forward and ordered new Dura Ace bits. The bits that come off will now go on the Giant. Just ordered some used and slightly scuffed 105 shifters from eBay. That should be all the bits accounted for :okay: Now it'll have the same gearing as my regular bikes and I'll be able to swap bits between them should I need to make any quick repairs.

This also means I'll have lots of spare Tiagra bits in good condition; I guess they'll go in the spares cupboard for the moment :okay:

I've left the bottom bracket soaking in plusgas overnight, it's not budging :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Yeah its good stuff, although my BB is still stuck solid so I've just soaked it again. If it doesnt free up this afternoon I'll take it down the LBS before I damage something :laugh: There must have been a lot of gunk in the bearings because it felt fine when I test rode it but now its been plusgas'd theres loads of play :blink:

Just had another nice surprise - the gear hanger is scrap as the thread is damaged :rolleyes: It was a little loose so I thought I'd take it off, clean it up and re-fit it but noticed a problem as soon as I tried to remove the mech. Oh well, new one ordered for £8.19 from JE James, should be with me sometime next week :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Good plan let someone else battle with it. Anyone would think your in the market for a new bike the way this one is going ;)

Dont joke - It could come down to that, this bike really is the gift that keeps on giving :laugh:

I've just put a bolt through the BB removal tool to make sure it doesnt come off and damage the splines...

20180915_112935.jpg

A quick go with the spanner suggested it's still not shifting so I decided to up my game and put it in the vice to get lots of leverage. I hadn't counted on this happening though...

20180915_112948.jpg

I think I may need a new vice :whistle: :laugh: A few minutes after this happened I had a call from the LBS to say my Bianchi is ready for collection so I have warned them to expect a challenge :laugh:

I have just finished stripping the last bits from the frame to inspect everything properly and found another gem; the front mech hanger is cracked and needs replacing :rolleyes: I've stopped being surprised, I just hope you can still get spares :laugh:

20180915_114247.jpg
20180915_115020.jpg

tom73

Guru
Well what can you say now the bike's had your vice too. :ohmy: Think it's time to pass it over to the LBS before it take's the rest with it. Best not let on too much when you do :whistle:
No wonder the guy you got it off was really nice. Wonder what the bike did for him ? His house did look to be in one piece I take it?
If you need the old holy water job going on the bike my mate's a vicar :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
:laugh::laugh: I think I'm over the worst now. The LBS had a much bigger vice than me and had it out in minutes :okay: Didn't charge me either, although it probably helped that I had just paid for the ceramic BB they've put in the Bianchi :laugh:

Anyway once home I cleaned and degreased the frame properly spending a bit of time removing numerous patches of glue remnants from stickers long since lost. I then stripped the dirty and corroded brakes down in to their consituent parts and cleaned them up to see if they were salvageable. They were, so reassembled them and bolted them on. I gave the seat post a good clean and regreased it before popping it back in. I then test fitted the forks and new stem, marked the steerer and cut it to length. New stem reassembled with a spacer above it in case it needs to move up slightly in future. That's all I can do for now until my other eBay bargains start to arrive :okay:

20180915_162244.jpg
20180915_162308.jpg
20180915_172437.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Yeah, it was certainly worth stripping down to find these problems before I started using it in earnest :okay:

I've sold the pedals on now, I may try and sell on the Tiagra groupset and saddle to recoup some costs but it doesn't owe me a great deal thanks to good old eBay :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Had another play this evening, mainly cleaning up the old bits to advertise. I noticed earlier the Giant badge had seen better days so i popped it off. You can get replacements for a tenner but I had some metallic silver paint left over from an old car repair so wire brushed it, primered it and painted and lacquered it. It's turned out quite nicely, I'll leave it to dry overnight and work out how to reattach it tomorrow :laugh:

20180915_212901.jpg
20180915_212912.jpg
View attachment 430224
20180915_213758.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The SCR has a face again, pleased with the outcome ^_^

20180916_132032.jpg

I've also harvested the only remaining ultegra and 105 parts from the Bianchi ready to go on the Giant - the new dura ace bits should be here to replace them in a few days :okay:

20180916_140935.jpg

I've hung all the bits out of the way now until the wheels, BB and saddle show up :smile:

20180916_143726.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
That new look badge look's great. :becool: As for hanging up the bit's for later if all else fail's you can alway's sell them as a modern art work :laugh:

I see what you mean :laugh: I think I'd be in trouble if I tried to hang my artwork in the living room :sad::laugh:

Top Bottom