Giant seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Loosen the bolt (quite a lot) move saddle, tighten back up. You will find though that the adjustment steps are fairly coarse, but you should be able to get it level. I have the Spoon saddle on my Defy 2 and like it a lot.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Excellent, job done. Many thanks @MikeW-71 Just out of interest, how well did you fare with the stock tyres? 3rd time out last night and the puncture fairy visited. I found the culprit in the side wall of tyre.

AndyRM

XOXO
1_fire_NMBC.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
Couldn't resist! ^_^

Re: tyres - generally stock tyres aren't great quality as it's an easy place for the manufacturer to save money. I believe Giant put their own tyres on, and they seem to get decent reviews.

I prefer Continental's range of rubber, in particular Gatorkskins and GP4000s, but there are many options available. Schwalbe are the other main contender.

I said on another thread that it comes down to personal preference, so my advice would be to find something you like rolling on and ignore the reviews; you'll always find someone who's had a bad experience and will slate your choice.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Thanks, I am doing the search for some decent tyres for next payday. I had gatorskins on my hybrid with no punctures in a year. Wiggle has a good offer on the GP 4000s for the pair but its still 50 squid. How do the gators roll compared to the GP`s? Is it worth keeping the stock`s or bin them?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive kept my stock tyres just as a back up . I doubt they will ever get used . I had a nightmare with punctures on Gatorskins although I do have them on the TCR for now . I put Armadillo's on the Defy and prefer them but that may just be because its winter and I havnt had a puncture .
I'll probably put GP 4000s on the TCR when funds allow and keep that gatorskins as a back up .

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

I have been reading threads regarding puncture resist tyres and it seems everyone has their personal favourites.

Cyclist33

I found the stock tyres excellent throughout spring and summer and next to useless under autumnal road conditions. Replaced.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

This is what I was thinking, to keep my stocks for the summer months and get???? for the winter. I still cant decide which ones yet (or which ones wifey will not moan about the price).

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I notice some of the giant tyres are the same as the stock ones but with PP . P-SL2 for example .
I only took the P-SL1,s off my TCR as I wasn't able to park for free in Richmond after Christmas so was having to ride on the roads rather than just the park .

Cyclist33

That's roughly what I'm doing although keeping the stocks as spares rather than summer tyres. Basically if/when I'm broke and need a pair. Got some Vittoria Rubino Pros on order for my other bike, Michelin Pro 4 Endurance on the Giant. Neither "winter" tyres as such but both better than the stock SR-2s.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Excellent, job done. Many thanks @MikeW-71 Just out of interest, how well did you fare with the stock tyres? 3rd time out last night and the puncture fairy visited. I found the culprit in the side wall of tyre.
I found the stock tyres OK. They gripped well, were decent in the wet and I only had one puncture in 1500 miles (sharp flint worked its way right through the tread). However, they didn't last very long and (after I replaced them with GP4000S) I found they were heavy, their ride was rather harsh and they didn't roll well.

GP4000S are a night and day difference. Rubino Pros are very nearly as good and a bit cheaper (they aren't quite so happy in the cold though) and the Defy is currently wearing 4 Seasons which are equally excellent.

I have some P-SL1's that were stock on the Advanced. They have never been ridden, I took them straight off and put the 4000S on.

They are branded Giant, but they might be made by Kenda. That's who make their stock MTB tyres anyway.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I liked the P-SL1's and as I said only swapped them for PP . P-SL2's have PP . Now I don't know what to do again :laugh:

Kies

Had SL2's (stock) on until last autumn when the rear had become quite flatened. One puncture in that time and gripped well. Only changed to rubino's because i like the colours and the recommendations of @ianrauk
They were cheap, but ride very well

Top Bottom