Giant seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Thanks, I am doing the search for some decent tyres for next payday. I had gatorskins on my hybrid with no punctures in a year. Wiggle has a good offer on the GP 4000s for the pair but its still 50 squid. How do the gators roll compared to the GP`s? Is it worth keeping the stock`s or bin them?

As said, keep the stocks as a backup. It is almost inevitable that binning them will result in a tyre based emergency and you'll be stuck without them. I keep a couple sets of tyres that I'd rather not use, but would do if absolutely necessary.

I find the Gatorksins to have a tougher, harder feel. A bit less grip than the GP4000s as well; I feel glued to the road on the GPs. The GPs are a bit more of a ball-ache to get on, but this will depend on your rims and dexterity.

£50 for a pair of either is a pretty good deal IMO.

Vittoria and Michelin are also good shouts, for some reason I completely forgot about them! Vittoria's Open Pave is excellent, but quite expensive. Michelin's Service Course range are very good as well, and you'll see change from £50. Bit of a bugger to get on and off though. I've used their Krylion ones before too, and quite liked them before riding through an unsighted crater and ruining both of them. 5 miles walking in the rain with cleats and a useless bike has somewhat tarnished my impressions.

I can offer no real advice regarding your wife. Either don't tell her or point out the costs of whatever expensive hobby she enjoys. If neither of those is an option, fabricate some nonsense about how a better tyre will make cycling on a road with dreadful motorists safer. Or something. Good luck!

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Thanks for the reply`s, the stock tyres are the Giant S-R4 with Flat Guard. The walls seem abit flimsy? compared to gatorskins and Specialized Nimbus which I had on the hybrid. As this is my first road bike, do most road tyres have flimsy walls of just the cheaper ones? I am bidding on a pair of these on e-bay at the moment and seem to have good reviews http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/components/128214/1/schwalbe-ultremo-dd-tyre.html#

Top Bottom