Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotthunter

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a racing bike for under £4000 with disc brakes and Shimano Di2.

I've got my eye on the TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc 2018 but can't find any reviews of it other than a couple of YouTube videos. I might be able to get it for £3400.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-advanced-pro-0-disc-2018

Thoughts anyone? I have read lots of reviews on the standard TCR Advanced and know it's a great bike, but would like know if Di2 is worth paying for. It's not as light as the SL, but seems to be a very light bike for discs (7.5kg). Opinions on the jet black/dark orange/chrome paint job also welcome :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you ridden it?

You want a racing bike, have all the restrictions on racing on bikes with disc brakes been lifted in the races you compete in? Worth being sure before spending 4k

OP
OP
S

scotthunter

I am familiar with the Defy. I slammed the stem on that bike and still felt very comfortable on it, but realised it wasn't a racing bike and for now I've decided that I value performance over comfort. I don't race but ride in fast paced chaingangs (20mph av.) for training/fitness.

All the new Giant range comes with tubeless tyres which help with comfort anyway. Although I think a lot of the comfort on the Defy is due to that D-shaped carbon seatpost, which you don't get on the TCR.

I'm quite a light rider (72kg) of athletic build and still in my early 30's so don't have a problem with flexibility in that respect. I will certainly test ride a TCR before I buy.

I am currently M/L in the Defy but sit on the border of M and M/L on the size chart - will a M/L TCR be the obvious choice or should I consider a M TCR and a longer stem for the slight weight saving? I am 5"10.5 and have an inside leg of 33".

I would be interested to know how well Di2 shifts on those hard, steep climbs when a lot of torque is going through the pedals. I mean some of the hills around where I live are brutal (20%) and some of the gear changes are made when the bike is going real slow. Can Di2 cope with that or is the system designed for pro's going fast up hills? Are there any disadvantages of Di2 over manual Ultegra other than the cost and battery replacement?

mgs315

Not familiar with the Adv Pro but I’ve got a 2018 Advanced 1 Disc and absolutely love it. I’m only 5mm off a slammed stem and it still feels plenty comfortable for me to do well over 50mi at a fair lick of pace. Even the RS-505 levers are fine for me. Stops on a dime too. Miles more comfier than my old Alu bike and way stiffer.

For the record I’m only 5’8 so went for a small (I’m on the cusp of small/medium) as I wanted slightly shorter reach due to the lower head tube as I can always go for a longer stem but I found it about right for me. I find I’m on the drops more often than on my old medium Triban as I can reach them easier which helps the old average speed. Only drawback is that my toes foul the front wheel but it’s not a problem apart from when stationary. Then again a friend of mine went Defy as he just can’t get on with the more racy geometry and he much prefers his bike to mine.

Heigue'r

Veteran
I would be looking at the medium,nice bike,dark orange?its red as red can be,The only thing offputting on it for me was how untidy the front hose is,they have done a bad job on it and left it in no mans land where as on the propel it runs inside the fork.
Im just shy of 5'11" and I think a m/l on the tcr would be too long for me..I ride a M tcr

mick160

I've just bought a TCR adv pro 2, upgraded from a 2014 alu defy and all I can say is what a bike - amazing.

I am pretty much the same dimensions as yourself, and my defy is m/l. I went for the medium TCR. I all ways felt slightly stretched on the defy even after fitting a slightly shorter stem. Test rode the TCR in both sizes and didn't feel much difference on the test rides. However after a couple of hundred miles now on the medium tcr I know I bought the right size, it just feels right.

Drago

Legendary Member
Great bikes, but go ride one. You can't tell how a bike feels under your butt from a spec sheet.

Top Bottom