Giant TCR riding advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

Hi All

I‘m a relative newcomer to road cycling and recently purchased a Boardman ADV 8.8 and installed some road tyres,it’s my first bike with drop bars having used MTB for the most part.

I have a Giant MTB and really like it, and have always liked the quality of Giant bikes.

I‘ve been thinking of getting into road cycling for a while and have always fancied a TCR advance but have never ridden one or know much about them.

Like most of you (probably) I’m always looking at bikes for sale and admiring them. I recently seen this one on eBay and thought I’d see if anyone out there had one or has one and could maybe tell me a bit about them and what I can expect compared to my current Boardman road/gravel bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-TC...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Thanks

13 rider

Guru
I have a TCR and I love it . It is designed as a race focused bike . The bike it the photo seems to have a lot of seatpost showing making it a very aggressive position can you ride like that ? ,Will the bike fit you ? . Mine does not have such a drop seat to handlebars .
Giant quality is excellent but buying 2nd hand you won't get any warranty

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I have a TCR and I love it . It is designed as a race focused bike . The bike it the photo seems to have a lot of seatpost showing making it a very aggressive position can you ride like that ? ,Will the bike fit you ? . Mine does not have such a drop seat to handlebars .
Giant quality is excellent but buying 2nd hand you won't get any warranty

Is the seat post height not adjustable?

13 rider

Guru
Also be aware the gears are quite big as it's a 52/36 up front and stated 11/28 on the back mine is an 11/30 on the back . So your lowest gear is a 36/28

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Yes it can be . You need to see if the frame size fits you you can check your height against giants website size chart
Yeah it does, I won’t be buying that particular bike but just wanted to get some advice on them.

13 rider

Guru
Yeah it does, I won’t be buying that particular bike but just wanted to get some advice on them.
Ok . That bike looks like the frame was to small for the rider . Are you looking 2nd hand or new
When new it comes with plenty of spacers between the frame and handle bar stem so the position is not that aggressive so more comfy ,but gives you the option of going lower at the front if you want . If 2nd hand and the previous owner has cut the steerer down you can't go back up

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Ok . That bike looks like the frame was to small for the rider . Are you looking 2nd hand or new
When new it comes with plenty of spacers between the frame and handle bar stem so the position is not that aggressive so more comfy ,but gives you the option of going lower at the front if you want . If 2nd hand and the previous owner has cut the steerer down you can't go back up
Probably 2nd hand. And I’m definitely a M frame. 5ft 9” 31” inside leg.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is the seat post height not adjustable?
Should be as long as it’s not one of those with the cut to size seatposts (which seem a ridiculous invention) :wacko:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
confirmed sizing - 5’ 9” teeny tiny 29-30“ inner leg thingy - most definitely M in Giant road bikes

always fancied a TCR as a good all rounder road bike. Have a Defy Advanced and a Propel Advanced but you can never have enough can you…
get yourself down to a giant store if possible to see one in the flesh/carbon. Every time I go into one I nearly buy a new bike even if not ‘looking’

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

confirmed sizing - 5’ 9” teeny tiny 29-30“ inner leg thingy - most definitely M in Giant road bikes

always fancied a TCR as a good all rounder road bike. Have a Defy Advanced and a Propel Advanced but you can never have enough can you…
Thoughts on Defy and Propel?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Thoughts on Defy and Propel?
I cannibalized the Di2 off the Propel because I found I wasn’t riding it as much and wanted to upgrade the Tiagra on the Defy so effectively switched the group sets over. The Defy advanced is a nice comfy bike and capable enough, if a little hefty but my current physique means this is less of a concern as it used to be.
Still using the Propel daily, it’s been demoted to turbo hack! Truth be told I don’t love the paint job on it and this is maybe one of the reasons it fell out of favour. That and the fact a fat chopper riding round on an aero road bike at 14mph avg isn’t ideal…. Don’t judge me people, it is how it is.

I have found Giants to be good quality, particularly the frames and you tend to get slightly more spec for your money than other (IMHO) brands of similar standing… I am looking at you Specialized

I saw a really nice one in the giant store a few Months ago, beautiful ’concrete’ colour scheme. Not everybody’s cuppa, granted but for me - it got me going…

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Love mine, it wears 25mm tyres which I think are pretty much the maximum with the shown clip-on guards. The seatpost is adjustable but if you go to see one, make sure it actually goes up & down OK as they can get stuck. Also it has a press-fit BB which are known to creak, I am on my second one after buying the bike in 2016. I've been very happy with this bike. Longest ride is an Audax of 129 miles and it performed very well for me.

My other bike is a Giant Revolt 2015 gravel bike which I use for commuting in the rain and snow etc, and family rides, rough stuff.

Top Bottom