Giant TCR riding advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I have a 2014 Defy Composite 3 (Tiagra) and it does seem to fly along, it’s comfy, with Continental GP4000S 2 tyres in 25 mm, the biggest that fit, I like it, a lot

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

This bike is for sale local to me, I’m really tempted but only had my boardman adv 8.8 for 3 months

What do you all think of this deal?
Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 2018
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Looks legit, wonder if you knock down the seller a bit given the age of it but certainly worth thinking about. Nice to have Ultegra and obviously a genuine enthusiast seller.

same colour scheme as my defy, pretty inoffensive and matches a lot of kit combos…
68F40CD7-8AF3-486A-8BAD-FE4800B61892.jpeg

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I think that dishing out close to what the seller paid 4 years ago for a used bike is beyond unreasonable.

I know a bloke who got one of these (TCR Adv. Pro 1) in November of 2018 for £1799 from a retailer in York. If you take into account services like warranty for me that's pretty much the same price as the one you linked - but it was brand new and not 4 years old.

I may be wrong, but it looks like you're winding yourself up and looking for confirmation from more seasoned cyclists. How about you write down everything that the bike you want has that your current bike doesn't have? Whatever you come up with - is it worth £1500?

Last edited:
I think that dishing out close to what the seller paid 4 years ago for a used bike is beyond unreasonable.

I know a bloke who got one of these (TCR Adv. Pro 1) in November of 2018 for £1799 from a retailer in York. If you take into account services like warranty for me that's pretty much the same price as the one you linked - but it was brand new and not 4 years old.

I may be wrong, but it looks like you're winding yourself up and looking for confirmation from more seasoned cyclists. How about you write down everything that the bike you want has that your current bike doesn't have? Whatever you come up with - is it worth £1500?
I believe that the 2021 model costs £3,600 now. Not sure why the price differential is so high as Giant has not shifted it process significantly just the usual increase even during the Covid period.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Attachments

• 7FE1DCCC-166E-4B0E-B7B3-592A059576A0.jpeg
    7FE1DCCC-166E-4B0E-B7B3-592A059576A0.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Made some notes above about pros/cons

I really like giant bikes and always wanted a tcr advanced.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go see it, if you like it make an offer? He can only say no.
You will lose money on the Boardman or just keep it for when you fancy a change.
What advantages do you perceive the Giant ti have other than the brand name?

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Go see it, if you like it make an offer? He can only say no.
You will lose money on the Boardman or just keep it for when you fancy a change.
What advantages do you perceive the Giant ti have other than the brand name?
Advatages…… maybe someone can list some.

Giant TCR advanced pro v Boardman ADV 8.8.

For me,It will clearly be lighter,with higher quality groupset….

vickster

Legendary Member
What do you think the benefit of that will be?
Do you plan to race or at least do fast club rides?
Could you lose the weight off yourself rather than the bike?
Is the gearing right?
Do you have the extra money, assume you’ll probably lose at least 25% off what you paid for the Boardman?
Will you regret not buying it?

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

What do you think the benefit of that will be?
Do you plan to race or at least do fast club rides?
Could you lose the weight off yourself rather than the bike?
Is the gearing right?
Do you have the extra money, assume you’ll probably lose at least 25% off what you paid for the Boardman?
Will you regret not buying it?
I bought the Boardman 2nd hand but virtually unused so I don’t think I’d lose 25% from what I paid.

I have just recently gotten into road cycling, I fitted 28mm tyres to the Boardman for road use,I don’t plan or need to lose weight,just cycling has always been a hobby and I have gotten into it more recently.

The benefits would be a nicer,lighter,faster bike that maybe runs smoother?

Yes I can afford it and I’m sure another similar option will come along as I realise my chances of using it at this time of year would be limited.

vickster

Legendary Member
I bought the Boardman 2nd hand but virtually unused so I don’t think I’d lose 25% from what I paid.

I have just recently gotten into road cycling, I fitted 28mm tyres to the Boardman for road use,I don’t plan or need to lose weight,just cycling has always been a hobby and I have gotten into it more recently.

The benefits would be a nicer,lighter,faster bike that maybe runs smoother?

Yes I can afford it and I’m sure another similar option will come along as I realise my chances of using it at this time of year would be limited.
Your note says the Boardman is brand new, so if used, you have no warranty on that either.
You can only go see the Giant, see what you think. Does it take 28mm tyres If that’s your preference?
if your current bike doesn’t run smoothly, perhaps it needs fettling

Top Bottom