Gift Suggestion for a Male Friend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Keep well clear and give a card thats it. Does he say things like my wife doesn't understand me etc as well?. Breaking news... often men say things like we are only together for the sake of the children etc when they are sizing you up for an affair. I'd steer well clear personally, and leave him to sort out his own difficulties.
His wife/partner wont like it if you give him a gift of jewellery, but you know that already.

No he doesn't.

As for an affair. A bit difficult considering we live at opposite ends of the country. We're just two motor racing nerds and former press hacks who usually begin our chats on messenger with "Do you remember when..." because we know a lot of the same people.

We'll probably spend this evening dissecting today's Touring Car meeting from Croft. The other night we were discussing John Cobb's aero-engined Napier Railton. We critique each other's writing, we discuss literature and engineering. And when he's feeling down, I'll just listen and not judge. That's the relationship that he and I have.

Gunk

Guru
How about a braided leather and silver bracelet, a bit more casual than cuff links etc. My wife bought me a couple of leather bracelets a few years ago and I really like them

2983AD68-D6F4-4945-94DF-19F4A07EB12E.jpeg

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Not wanting to sound clichéd - just continue to give him the 'gift' of your friendship as that sounds what works for you both. Lovely sentiment from you, but you know what us blokes are like when buying us gifts, unless it's a new bike or your friend with that classic racing car, in British Racing Green with the original spoked wheels...

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
A question for those of you in the know regarding pencils...

I am on a budget, and as it's a gift, damage and engraving on the cartouche is a factor I've got to consider. Which unfortunately pushes the Yard-o-Led or a Sampson & Mordan to outside of that bracket. I don't mind tarnish, because it's nothing that a bit of elbow grease can't solve.

After having done a bit more homework, something like a 1940s Wahl Eversharp seems to fit the bill. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Update to this:

A bit of patience and some sweet talking has just paid off this evening, and I've managed to snaffle a boxed and mint condition 1994 sterling silver Yard-O-Led "Diplomat" pencil on the 'bay for less than the price of a fairly mundane bottle of whisky or brandy.

I think that will do rather nicely. :smile:

Have to admit I fell off my chair when I saw how much those are new... :wacko:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Update to this:

A bit of patience and some sweet talking has just paid off this evening, and I've managed to snaffle a boxed and mint condition 1994 sterling silver Yard-O-Led "Diplomat" pencil on the 'bay for less than the price of a fairly mundane bottle of whisky or brandy.

Unusual and long lasting gift which shouldn't cause him any domestic strife - provided you don't deliver it personally, wearing a bikini, and with a red rose clamped between your teeth.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Update to this:

Check it ain't a fake!

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Unusual and long lasting gift which shouldn't cause him any domestic strife - provided you don't deliver it personally, wearing a bikini, and with a red rose clamped between your teeth.

Noooo, I'll leave the delivery details to his usual postie. :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
glad you're sorted.

I was going to say that, as a chap, I wouldn't view the gift of cufflinks as overly personal, they are the least personal of Jewellery items imho.

Also even though smart casual is more the office wear now, I still favour double cuff shirts, just worn without a tie, with jeans or chino's & blazer/ jacket. I'm less sure on bookshop attire though!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's got the full set of UK hallmarks on the barrel, and they're right for the year - its the first year of manufacture from their Birmingham workshop.

Sounds kosher, and I doubt he will want to research it.

To me, that's rather like trying to find out what you paid for it.

Why let daylight intrude on a little bit of magic?

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Sounds kosher, and I doubt he will want to research it.

To me, that's rather like trying to find out what you paid for it.

Why let daylight intrude on a little bit of magic?

The research and legwork is my side of this. :smile: It's as much about the time and effort put into making the choice as the actual gift itself. He's eminently knowledgeable in his field; research / fact chasing is part of what he does, so I know he'll appreciate it.

Top Bottom