Gift Suggestion for a Male Friend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This girl could use a bit of advice. A bit of a toss-up whether to put this in Cafe or Personal*, but anyways...

I have a very dear male friend, and during the course of a conversation one evening via Messenger, it sort of cropped up that other than a watch with an embarrassing inscription which he doesn't dare wear, he doesn't have any jewellery. So the idea has been brewing in my head that I'd like to buy him something he can wear and enjoy. What with Christmas and then his birthday coming up. I'm an afficionado of vintage silver jewellery btw, so that's where I'll be looking.

The issue is twofold. Firstly, he is not religious, so something like a crucifix or a Saint Christopher is definitely out. Secondly, he lives with his partner, but the situation is, shall I say, difficult. They're really only still together for the sake of their kids. I'm the person he often turns to when he needs to talk.

So the problem I have is: a) whether it's an appropriate gift, b) if so, what would be a safe choice without this backfiring rather spectacularly, or c) forget about this and buy him some chocolate.

I've been hovering around the concept of cufflinks and tie tack, but what does the Great CycleChat Collective think? :scratch:

* If the mods think this should be in personal matters, then please feel free to move it.

AndyRM

XOXO
Does he have piercings? Or wear rings? Is he into jewellery in general?

stephec

Legendary Member
If he wears cufflinks then that's a good idea, discrete silver ones are the ones that I prefer out of the 10 or so pairs that I have, novelty ones are a definite no no though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Is the watch with an embarrassing inscription something you’ve previously bought him? If he doesn’t wear jewellery. Does he actually like it and is he likely to wear what you buy him? Even though you say they are only together for the kids. How do you think his partner would react to finding out you’ve bought him jewellery?

Slick

Guru
I would certainly be delighted to recieve cuf links or something like. Definitely not novelty though. I don't think Mrs Slick would be chuffed though, despite it being wholly innocent. I may be wrong though, I quite often am.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Is the watch with an embarrassing inscription something you’ve previously bought him? If he doesn’t wear jewellery. Does he actually like it and is he likely to wear what you buy him? Even though you say they are only together for the kids. How do you think his partner would react to finding out you’ve bought him jewellery?

No, the watch predates me by several decades, thank goodness. He did have a few pieces bought for him in a previous relationship, but he returned them in a fit of pique when that broke down, and now regrets it. And he admits he wouldn't know where to start when it comes to buying, and his current partner has never bought him anything.

But you've touched exactly upon the dilemma I have regarding his partner, ergo the question. I know I am potentially skating on thin ice here. He's had a tough year, and I just want to do something nice for him.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
If he wears cufflinks then that's a good idea, discrete silver ones are the ones that I prefer out of the 10 or so pairs that I have, novelty ones are a definite no no though.

That's the sort of idea I have - something simple, maybe engine turned or bright cut around the edge.

Novelty or uber-bling is not my cup of tea.

Top Bottom