Gift Suggestion for a Male Friend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Doing something together has its logistical issues as we're at opposite ends of the country. We've pencilled in the Goodwood Festival of Speed, and some stock car racing for next year, but his schedule isn't as flexible as mine.

You folks are picking up on the exact thing that's bugging me i.e. sending the wrong message, and I really appreciate that. I really don't want things to go *KABOOM*

I do like the idea of the shaving set, but he prefers to keep what hair he has left to him on his face. :blush: Not sure he'd react to being gifted a can of Mr Sheen... :whistle:

Maybe painting one of his racing cars might be an idea... :scratch:
Do they do a small model of the type of cars he's had or one that he likes? It might not seem as much of a threat to his other half .
PIcking the right one might be a problem .

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Depends how much you want to spend.

I know it is the "giving which counts", but, an expensive gift may be miss-interpreted.

Personally, I would not really appreciate jewellery, or, chocolate, as in a box of chocolates, although, two of my daughters do sometimes please me with gifts of simple "sweets" I like (ie Bounty bars and fudge). Similarly, they sometimes treat me to a nice bottle of Cognac, or Sherry (but, your friend doesn't drink, I understand?).

Other than the above I appreciate most things I will use regularly, eg Wallet, gadget of equipment for hobby (eg cycling gear, Garmin, Smartwatch).

Good luck, I hope you manage to please all parties, including yourself! ;)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Does he like cooking? Lots of manly kitchen toys. A quality knife, for example
Excellent suggestion, and one which illustrates a sound general principle: exploit your own skills by all means (an uncommon ability to spot good vintage jewellery, eg), but only insofar as they tally with his leanings. (Like others on this thread, I really don't 'do' jewellery, so a gift along those lines would be nothing more than a constant reproach to me.) Whereas, I would love a good kitchen knife. Or a good belt for that matter. But that's just me. Who he? Maybe keep an eye out for something he clearly really likes, but which is falling apart, and get him a new one. Or something he likes where you can get him a better one.

I'd caveat all of that by saying that though you clearly have the best of intentions, given the way you describe his marriage, any gift risks blundering into a minefield. My overriding instinct is: Nice idea, but no.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Does anyone wear cufflinks nowadays? I do have rather nice cufflinks but I have never worn such things for years. Same goes for a tie clip unless he dresses formally for business purposes people are much less formal nowadays. The only time I wear a tie is at funerals.
Not knowing the person I cannot really make sensible suggestions.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Thanks again for the good feedback folks. :okay:

I think I'll put the idea of bling on the back burner. Too many risks there - as I had thought.

Alas, unlike me he's not terribly competent in the kitchen (that's his words, not mine) so kitchen gadgetry is out. Driving experiences - well, he competes, and model cars - let's just say he has much better dibs on them than me... :blush: I have sourced him some bike parts, but I did that just because. He does the same for me when it comes to books!

I always get him good choccies for Christmas as I know he is very partial, but his birthday falls just a few days later, so I don't want to get him the same thing twice. I'm teetotal, so wouldn't have a clue about any poncy booze, but as I said upthread, he doesn't drink much.

Am now sort of thinking a nice vintage propelling pencil or a silver bookmark. Both of which are things he can use. I know he likes antiques and the idea of giving something a new lease of life.

Any thoughts?

Am now sort of thinking a nice vintage propelling pencil or a silver bookmark. Both of which are things he can use. I know he likes antiques and the idea of giving something a new lease of life.

Any thoughts?
Great idea as it would not be out of place for those in the book trade plus an antique to boot.

AndyRM

XOXO
If you're going down the propelling pencil and silver route, a Pentel P225 would be my shout. Not an easy thing to get hold of, but they are beautiful to look at and draw/write with.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Two suggestions from me would be either a nice fountain pen or a really nice tie (if he wears ties), both of which could be given a second life.

Without getting too tricky, does it matter if his current partner finds out that you have got it for him? If it needs to be 'a secret', then don't get him anything that he would have to lie about, like a piece of jewellery. If it doesn't matter if his partner knows that makes it easier.

Otherwise I am thinking your only option is a night away together in a country hotel with champagne, a nice meal and show him how much he means to you ;)

Top Bottom