Gift Suggestion for a Male Friend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Does he like cooking? Lots of manly kitchen toys. A quality knife, for example

Some folks are superstitious about knives as gifts...

According to one superstition, a knife presented as a gift will sever the friendship between the giver and the recipient. The only way around this unfortunate outcome is to tape a penny to the knife. The coin must be promptly removed and returned to the giver as a form of symbolic payment.

Gillstay

Über Member
Some folks are superstitious about knives as gifts...

According to one superstition, a knife presented as a gift will sever the friendship between the giver and the recipient. The only way around this unfortunate outcome is to tape a penny to the knife. The coin must be promptly removed and returned to the giver as a form of symbolic payment.
That's a great superstition ! I have been giving knives out for years. Does swords and billhooks count as well ?

carpiste

Guru
Take him to Tescos, show him to the yellow sticker aisle and tell him he can choose anything he likes ^_^
If nothing else it will cheer him up, let him know you are thinking of him and will save a fortune ;)
Seriously though, I would steer clear of any jewellery but the book mark is a great idea as it`s something he can use and treasure.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Looks like the pencil might be a good option, then. It's something he can keep in his office. Book mark, equally so. :okay:

Another possibility that came to me while I was bimbling around Tesco this afternoon would be a really good quality travel mug (the sort that keeps your drink hot for 8 or 9 hours) and some nice tea to put in it. :cuppa:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
If you go down the pencil route try here:
https://www.cultpens.com/c/q/explore/product-type/pencils/mechanical-pencils
Some of the Graf von Faber-Castell are lovely.

Slightly cheaper is what I bought myself a while ago, a Rotring 800.

Edit to add they are a great company to deal with, I've always had great service from them ( I have no connection to them other than as a satisfied customer who has used them lots).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
If you go down the pencil route try here:
https://www.cultpens.com/c/q/explore/product-type/pencils/mechanical-pencils
Some of the Graf von Faber-Castell are lovely.

Slightly cheaper is what I bought myself a while ago, a Rotring 800.

Edit to add they are a great company to deal with, I've always had great service from them ( I have no connection to them other than as a satisfied customer who has used them lots).

I'll look into that - thanks for the heads up. :okay:

I use the Faber Castell indian ink Pitt artists pens and their Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils. I know how good their products are. :smile:

Cirrus

Veteran
From what I have seen you're a quite talented artist, why not do a bespoke piece for him, I know I'd appreciate something hand crafted from a friend rather than something bought.

carpiste

Guru
Looks like the pencil might be a good option, then. It's something he can keep in his office. Book mark, equally so. :okay:

Another possibility that came to me while I was bimbling around Tesco this afternoon would be a really good quality travel mug (the sort that keeps your drink hot for 8 or 9 hours) and some nice tea to put in it. :cuppa:
As a long time outdoors type and fisherman I can absolutely recommend the travel mug. I remember getting one in the 80`s, ordered from Canada from a friend who was out there fishing. It lasted years and was a great boon for me ;)
A kelly kettle, travel mug, bike and decent waterproofs and you`re ready to go anywhere ^_^
oh yes and a couple of yellow sticker goodies ;)

mm - difficult one.
and propelling pencil? - nudge nudge, wink wink.
I think I'd go for something useful but naff so can't possibly be seen as intimate/a threat.
Year's supply of cat litter )if has a cat, or year's supply of something else useful.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Righty, I've spent the evening doing a bit of homework and seeing where my budget takes me.

I'm going to rule out the bookmark (for now), as my budget restricts me to the small, flimsy and easily damaged. Not so good for a six foot bloke with sausages for fingers. :blush:

Both a really good travel mug with a selection of tea, and a nice mid-century silver propelling pencil comes out at about the same. I've spotted a pencil that I'm going to chance my arm on. If I decide not to give it to him, I'll end up using it myself as a posher alternative to my venerable Pentel and Admiral Junior.

Painting one of his competition cars depends on my finding useable photos for reference. Then of course, mounting and framing.

I like getting ahead on these things as it saves running around like a headless chicken later on.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Righty, I've spent the evening doing a bit of homework and seeing where my budget takes me.

I'm going to rule out the bookmark (for now), as my budget restricts me to the small, flimsy and easily damaged. Not so good for a six foot bloke with sausages for fingers. :blush:

Both a really good travel mug with a selection of tea, and a nice mid-century silver propelling pencil comes out at about the same. I've spotted a pencil that I'm going to chance my arm on. If I decide not to give it to him, I'll end up using it myself as a posher alternative to my venerable Pentel and Admiral Junior.

Painting one of his competition cars depends on my finding useable photos for reference. Then of course, mounting and framing.

I like getting ahead on these things as it saves running around like a headless chicken later on.
I reckon that's a sound plan that would certainly delight me. Nice :okay:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
This girl could use a bit of advice. A bit of a toss-up whether to put this in Cafe or Personal*, but anyways...

I have a very dear male friend, and during the course of a conversation one evening via Messenger, it sort of cropped up that other than a watch with an embarrassing inscription which he doesn't dare wear, he doesn't have any jewellery. So the idea has been brewing in my head that I'd like to buy him something he can wear and enjoy. What with Christmas and then his birthday coming up. I'm an afficionado of vintage silver jewellery btw, so that's where I'll be looking.

The issue is twofold. Firstly, he is not religious, so something like a crucifix or a Saint Christopher is definitely out. Secondly, he lives with his partner, but the situation is, shall I say, difficult. They're really only still together for the sake of their kids. I'm the person he often turns to when he needs to talk.

So the problem I have is: a) whether it's an appropriate gift, b) if so, what would be a safe choice without this backfiring rather spectacularly, or c) forget about this and buy him some chocolate.

I've been hovering around the concept of cufflinks and tie tack, but what does the Great CycleChat Collective think? :scratch:

* If the mods think this should be in personal matters, then please feel free to move it.
Keep well clear and give a card thats it. Does he say things like my wife doesn't understand me etc as well?. Breaking news... often men say things like we are only together for the sake of the children etc when they are sizing you up for an affair. I'd steer well clear personally, and leave him to sort out his own difficulties.
His wife/partner wont like it if you give him a gift of jewellery, but you know that already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom