Gillette/gilet/gilet frame make

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I haven't seen the frame but the description says its in good nick in as much there are no dents or bends.

I have never built a bike before but I wouldn't mind giving at go, how hard can it be?

I'm not in any rush to get one, I may just bide my time and see what else comes along. I wouldn't mind getting a slightly later frame, one from the 60's perhaps.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There won't be much difference between a 50's and 60's frame except the later ones tend to have more braze-on's like cable guides, gear bosses and the like. If you do build it yourself you will need quite a few tools but should be doable.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There won't be much difference between a 50's and 60's frame except the later ones tend to have more braze-on's like cable guides, gear bosses and the like. If you do build it yourself you will need quite a few tools but should be doable.

Thanks for info and advice. I haven't decided whether I want this frame yet, but if I do get it I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Here are some photos of the Gillott currently on offer.

I would appreciate comments , views, opinions and advice please

Attachments

• gil1.JPG
    gil1.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 79
  • gil2.JPG
    gil2.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 70
  • gil3.JPG
    gil3.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 72
  • gil4.JPG
    gil4.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 76
  • gil5.JPG
    gil5.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 75
  • gil6.JPG
    gil6.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 72
  • gil7.JPG
    gil7.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 71

Cavalol

Guru
I'm notoriously tightfisted but even forgetting that it seems churlish he won't throw a £15.00 set of decals in with it. Also are all the missing bits unique to one of these and if so how much will it cost you to replace them, are they easy to find and if you used the 'wrong' bits (i.e they fit but are from another type of bike) would it effect the value or your perception of the bike?

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm notoriously tightfisted but even forgetting that it seems churlish he won't throw a £15.00 set of decals in with it. Also are all the missing bits unique to one of these and if so how much will it cost you to replace them, are they easy to find and if you used the 'wrong' bits (i.e they fit but are from another type of bike) would it effect the value or your perception of the bike?

I'm not bothered about the decals, as I will not be putting any on whatever frame I end up getting if I get one. As for missing bits, I'm afraid I don't know enough about bikes, and particularly vintage bikes to know what is missing if anything at all.

If I get this frame my plan is to send it to Mercian and have them paint it, and refit the forks and maybe a bottom bracket, then I can take it from there. I think. Maybe I won't bother!

ayceejay

Guru
There was a white Gillot in an easy track style in the window at Allins in Croydon that was so beautiful in its simplicity,the only embellishment was the name in dark brown I watched it from outside and one day it was gone. I am not sure that Allins is still there even but I imagined my self on that bike, maybe I still do. In fact I have nostalgia for that whole era

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It looks like a nice frame. I love those lugs and the wrap around seat stays. If you are going to send it to Mercian that means serious money. In my opinion I would go for it, but then I just love the nostalgia and craftsmanship in something like this. Many guys on here think nothing about spending a grand , even more, on a carbon road bike. I have an early one bought down here for £65. Something like this Gillott comes from a bygone age of metal frame building the like of which we will never see again. It can only appreciate with time and will be a thing of joy to the owner forever.

In fact I think you shouldn't even be asking the question, it's one of those things that you know if you want it. All the problems you might have putting it together will make it all the more challenging and enjoyable.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It looks like a nice frame. I love those lugs and the wrap around seat stays. If you are going to send it to Mercian that means serious money. In my opinion I would go for it, but then I just love the nostalgia and craftsmanship in something like this. Many guys on here think nothing about spending a grand , even more, on a carbon road bike. I have an early one bought down here for £65. Something like this Gillott comes from a bygone age of metal frame building the like of which we will never see again. It can only appreciate with time and will be a thing of joy to the owner forever.

In fact I think you shouldn't even be asking the question, it's one of those things that you know if you want it. All the problems you might have putting it together will make it all the more challenging and enjoyable.

Thanks, you make some good points

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Used to have a Gillott Tandem it had lovely ornate lugs and the shortest wheelbase i have seen on a tandem with an beautiful curved rear tube that followed the line of the wheel. also had an old Gillott tourer too, sold it for a tenner when I discovered modern stuff. Doh!

Hello...I googled "gillot" as I am thinking of renovating my day's old bike which is currently in my turbo trainer and wondered about how to go about it. I two Gillots in need of TLC...one ladies racer and one gents racer both with old brooks saddles. The tubs have perished but I have an uncle with spares. How do you go about getting the right bits? Any websites? Local bike stores ( even the keen independents) can't seem to help much.

Top Bottom