Gillette/gilet/gilet frame make

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Is there/ was there a frame maker called Gillette or similar sounding name. My uncle was trying to tell me about a bike he built and he thinks that's the name or something like that. Does that ring any bells with you folks?

I've done all the usual searches, all I've come up with so far is a Tyre company called Gillette.
Yours, clutching at straws, Carlp

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, I think the name you are thinking of is Gillott, A S Gillott. He had a small hop in Southhampton Row W C 1. He made very fine bikes, mostly from Reynolds 531. I remember as a teenager my friend had lovely A S Gillott track bike (fixie) in pale blue which I always coveted. I should think they are much sought after now. What I wouldn't give!

Have a look at Classicrendezvous website, you will find more info there.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Finding a Gillott might not be an easy task. Such bikes/frames are quite rare and do not come up for sale often. There some sites selling classic bikes. Also ebay but I have never seen one for sale there. If you can find one in good condition it might expensive. I think it's just a case of checking around and exploring all avenues. Good luck.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Finding a Gillott might not be an easy task. Such bikes/frames are quite rare and do not come up for sale often. There some sites selling classic bikes. Also ebay but I have never seen one for sale there. If you can find one in good condition it might expensive. I think it's just a case of checking around and exploring all avenues. Good luck.

I will find one. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Possibly.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Ron Cooper, master frame builder died yesterday, at the age of 80.

Ron worked for Gillott's until the late 60s, when he started out on his own.

I expect the value of both Gillott & Cooper frames to increase.

brockers

Sad news about Ron Cooper. He built my Dad*'s Gillott which he raced and tested on in the fifties and early sixties, but which I managed to prang when proto mountain biking in the woods with a mate when I was thirteen - twenty or so years later. I broke my collarbone and knocked myself unconscious too! Had it straightened out by Witcomb, and then a couple of years later as Dad was no longer riding it, had it resprayed and various braze-ons removed or installed by Roberts to use as my first proper road bike. It had Nervex lugs, pencil stays, all the 'must-haves' of a race frame of that period. And a really loud 'ting' to the metal when you flicked the top-tube with your finger-nail. Of course now I'm slapping my forehead for pretty much giving it away to a friend!

*Whose ashes I poured into the English Channel a few hours ago, making this quite an emotional post.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well I did say it might be pricey! It may be better to buy it this way as you can then make your mind up whether you want to go for corresponding 50's components or use more contemporary gear. Either way you won't see much change out of 600 notes.

You didn't say if you familiar with bikes and could you build it up yourself? If you get your LBS to do it you need to add a rather more to the cost. Haven't been able to look at the frame yet. Is it in good condition? If it is it would be a reasonable buy.

Top Bottom