Gillette/gilet/gilet frame make

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zojam

I meet him every week as he recently lost his wife. Johny Clarey was his old cycling partner in the 50s when they both lived in plumstead

Hello Dennis, Ive just joined this forum after seeing your posts. I have a substantial collection of Gillott bikes and frames and keep records of survivors. I've written a history of the company and I am always keen to learn more about the framebuilders there. Your father was the key framebuilder in the early days and I would love to talk to you about his role with the company. Harry Carrington told me that Jim was working for Hobbs pre war then at Woolwich Arsenal during the war. Harry arranged the frame building job at Gillotts to allow Jim to leave. Please do get in touch.
For what it's worth, Dennis hasn't logged into CC since 11/09/2013.

Zojam

Johny Clarey on a Ron cooper

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 33

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I meet him every week as he recently lost his wife. Johny Clarey was his old cycling partner in the 50s when they both lived in plumstead

I know an old boy who used to compete in that era - ask Ken if f he knew Mick Ward. Mick did hill climbs, time trials and the odd road race; he's over 80, but still a fine cyclist.

Zojam

I know an old boy who used to compete in that era - ask Ken if f he knew Mick Ward. Mick did hill climbs, time trials and the odd road race; he's over 80, but still a fine cyclist.
Johny Clarey cycled up until recently but broke his hip in France and has had problems with it

Zojam

My nan used to live in Florence rd a couple of roads up from witcombs shop in Tanners hill so it was the first frame builders that I knew as a kid until Ron Cooper moved to Honor oak park after leaving Gillots

ayceejay

Guru
I used to ride hill climbs on a fixed. When I hear people talking about 'the burn' I think they should try it. Leith hill on a 72" beat me though!

Thanks for those pictures Zojam, it brought back memories. I must go and have a lay down now.:okay:

Zojam

I used to ride hill climbs on a fixed. When I hear people talking about 'the burn' I think they should try it. Leith hill on a 72" beat me though!

Thanks for those pictures Zojam, it brought back memories. I must go and have a lay down now.:okay:
Lol

Garycollier

Hi, I'm Gary Collier, one of Jim's Grandsons. I've asked my dad to get back in touch.

I've been hunting for one of his frames for ages now, as a keen cyclist myself owning one of his frames would be unbelievable.
If anyone can help that would be great.

Cheers
Gary

Top Bottom