Giraffes split into 6 different species

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7156146.stm

It's clear to me that this has come about because giraffes are a bit crap, seeing as they're a bit of a one trick pony, i.e. all they can do is reach up the top of tall trees to get leaves. So they've now decided to evolve them into 6 different types each of which will be able to do different things and have its own unique skillz.
And let's not try and pretend this isn't evolution - you needn't come the "they've always been like that, they've only just discovered it", 'cos animalologists are always doing research all the time into every type of animal, so the fact that this has only just appeared on the news this morning means that this is new stuff.

Tony

Ahhhhhhh
The old head is back!

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Steve Austin said:
haven't they always been like that?

Nah, they've always been one species. The first phase ofthe project is dividinginto different species,the next phase will probably be to start acquiring different skills. One stepat a time, they've got to learn to walk before they canrun. Youc an't rush evolution.

Jaded

bonj said:
Nah, they've always been one species. The first phase ofthe project is dividinginto different species,the next phase will probably be to start acquiring different skills. One stepat a time, they've got to learn to walk before they canrun. Youc an't rush evolution.

Slow down bonj! Your evolution isn't quite complete!

Noodley

I liked this quote from the article:

"The female Maasai giraffe may be dancing around her handbag drinking some Campari, looking at the male reticulated giraffe and thinking, 'what a tosser, I'd not bed you if you were the last giraffe in the world'," Mr Brown stated.

Seems fairly damning IMO.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i like giraffes. they are one of my fave animals, especially when they come through the sunroof at the safari park for a snack :laugh:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

They already can run. They learned it when they were under the ice.

giraffes can't actually run at all, they can do 35mph but they're actually still walking when they're doing this, it's just 'cos they've got long lgs.

Top Bottom