Girl down!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Glad to hear you're OK, just write it all down just in case you've done yourself some damage and don't realise it yet, you'll be sore tomorrow, and get the bike checked out as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
It finally happened and I got hit by a car for the first time ever today!

The car was coming towards me and wanted to turn right into the petrol station. He just swung in front of me. I slammed the brakes on and ended up hitting the back of his car behind the back passenger door. Hit the ground.

Remarkably I’m totally fine - a scratch on my elbow. My bike was also fine, just needed to straighten the wheel slightly. The chap was apologetic and immediately took the blame. ‘Sorry love, I didn’t see you’.

So all fine but a little shaken up.

I had a near miss in exactly the same circumstances on Sunday with a taxi. He slammed on the brakes just as I swerved towards the kerb and missed the front of his car by less than a foot, swore at him and rode on.

I reckon he was concentrating so much on the cars behind me that a bike just didn't register with him.

robjh

Legendary Member
It finally happened and I got hit by a car for the first time ever today!

The car was coming towards me and wanted to turn right into the petrol station. He just swung in front of me. I slammed the brakes on and ended up hitting the back of his car behind the back passenger door. Hit the ground.

Remarkably I’m totally fine - a scratch on my elbow. My bike was also fine, just needed to straighten the wheel slightly. The chap was apologetic and immediately took the blame. ‘Sorry love, I didn’t see you’.

So all fine but a little shaken up.

Glad you came out of it OK. I guess you probably have the driver's contact details, or at least reg no., just in case anything comes to light in the next few days.

I had my first one last month, after 40 years riding. Luckily it was at very slow speed, getting softly forced onto a kerb by a left-turning car and I have only a slightly sprained finger to show from it, but it still shook me up and occupied my thoughts for a few days.

Get back on that bike!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
And when you are ready get back on the bike and take care

I actually kept going! My first instinct was to call my husband to get me buy then I realised I was unharmed and so was my bike. I was 10 miles into a 30 mile ride to watch my son play football so I decided to keep going. Otherwise I thought I’d be nervous to ride my road bike again. I was a little tense for the rest of the ride and didn’t enjoy it very much but I’m very glad I did it!!

So sorry to read this @Cathryn
The most important thing is that you're ok.

@classic33 has an excellent suggestion - to ask in the garage for CCTV - better to be safe than sorry.

I'm presuming nothing was reported to the Police? It may not be a bad idea to do so - just in case.

I think it's a really good idea to get the bike checked out. Ideally the driver should pay for it!
And yourself!

Good for you that you continued on, and presumably home later. However, there's a difference between "having to" and "wanting to". It wouldn't be unusual for a type of delayed shock to kick in that could affect your enjoyment. It may also have an impact on the other cyclists in your family, especially the 67 miler.

When I first started driving I read somewhere that it was a good idea to have a written list of all the steps to take in the event of an accident because an accident can scramble our brains. Not a bad idea to have a list scribbled down in a puncture repair kit or on a phone. (Not in any way meant as a criticism but a suggestion for anyone, reminding myself that I lost my copy on my phone).

Be kind to yourself, take it easy and the best of luck

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry to hear about this, but glad you are okay(ish) probably the best thing you did to continue riding, before the fear of getting back on gets blown out of all proportions in the deep recesses of your mind. Too many distractions for drivers today, he was probably checking out the price before pulling into the forecourt to see if he could afford to put fuel in.

Top Bottom