Giro 2018 "contains spoilers"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Simon Yates lost 4 seconds by letting Chaves win the stage - why did he do that? He could have beaten him easily.

He said in the interview afterwards that he thought Chaves deserved it for all the hard work he'd done on the stage.

It also worked out well for the team - the extra bonus seconds Chaves got for the win took him above Pinot and Pozzovivo in GC.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Are they brothers or cousins?

Brothers according to Wikipedia, if that's at all reliable.

Fight.The.Power

Great win by Yates today but wtf is he doing handing it Chavez ? Still, getting Pink is fantastic. Please remove that long jumper from punditry and bring in Gary Imlach. “Cycling doesn’t get any better than this”.
Well actually it does. It gets much better than that.

400bhp

Guru
Dumoulin keeping his powder dry ....

Yates looked like he was the strongest all the way up. With him in pink and Chavez in 3rd that’s a class pack of cards to play with.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Simon Yates lost 4 seconds by letting Chaves win the stage - why did he do that? He could have beaten him easily.
Great gesture for his team mate Chavez,couldn't.be a more deserving stage winner.I just hope those bonus seconds don't come back to haunt Yates.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Great gesture for his team mate Chavez,couldn't.be a more deserving stage winner.I just hope those bonus seconds don't come back to haunt Yates.
I was also a little surprised and it’s not something you could imagine happening at a team like Sky, where all must serve. Maybe Yates and/or the team DS thought the benefits of team esprit de corps outweighed cold hard seconds. Or MS hedging their bets, although I think it’s unlikely.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Just watched the highlights again. The moment when Yates makes his move is a joy to watch. He moves across the road and gets a small gap, looks back and clearly thinks ‘Why the heck is no one following me?’ then Pinot notices him and starts to chase on to his wheel but it’s already too late because Yates is off up the road.

Seeing Yates and Chaves being interviewed together by Flecha was just lovely too. They clearly love what they do and enjoy working with and for each other.

Top Bottom