Giro 2022.....SPOILERS.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Genuinly Interested to hear what you think should happen instead of the podium, is it a case of win the stage then carry on riding to your digs for the night.:ohmy:

the riders would like that, its apparently a pain, especially on a long stage or say a summit finish, where you have to get back to the valley for the hotel, the podium and press stuff for the stage winner etc takes a good hour or more out of your recovery / massage / food / sleep time.

Do they get a frothing pint of real ale for a stage at the Tour of Britain? Much safer (as long as you don't accidentally glass y'self) :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Genuinly Interested to hear what you think should happen instead of the podium, is it a case of win the stage then carry on riding to your digs for the night.:ohmy:
The winner is permitted to modestly nod to, and maybe shake hands with, some other competitors.

Seriously though, the podium girls are/were a sexist throwback to the 60s. Hopefully they are gone for good. The champagne* is just daft. Who believes that a top athlete is going to consume more than a tiny amount of alcohol in the middle of a gruelling event like a grand tour, let alone a whole ginormous bottle? What is it there for? Is it some way of sneaking around alcohol advertising restrictions?

* Other sparkling wines are available.

There are of course exceptions, and sometimes the action on the podium can be worth watching.
1652965874390.png

1652965944287.png

Towns pay a lot of money to have a stage finish. They want their pound of flesh. Or at least to have the stage winners on the podium etc etc.

Seriously though, the podium girls are/were a sexist throwback to the 60s

I cant dissagree with that.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Bardet has abandoned :sad:

Tis on the website
14:25:00
Incredible news: Romain Bardet withdraws

The Team DSM rider, among the super favourites for the overall victory, seems to have stomach problems.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Me and the other half play the "guess what ridiculous outfit Orla will be wearing today" game. some of her shoe sock combos have been well weird.
TBH the guys have also had some very weird attire as well! I think there must be some irony going on here. But how big must her wardrobe be, never mind her carbon footprint, 20 different outfits just for the Giro.

I tend not to watch too much of the lengthy studio analysis, it wasn't as long winded when Brian Smith was around?
Sad for Bardet .... seconds off GC as well.

Top Bottom