Giro 2022.....SPOILERS.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mvdp did it a few days earlier and it hit him on the collar bone. I guess it's awkward picking up a big bottle like that.

As for the corks... It is pretty amazing how cork-popping had escaped health and safety scrutiny for so long! I have seen lots of near misses before (including VdP earlier in this Giro!) but seeing what happened yesterday, it would have been ridiculous to let the practice continue as it was. I bet within a year or two it will be standard practice in every sport for the corks to be pre-popped***.

*** By cork-poppers with the required training and certification! :laugh:
No-one's forcing them to open these dangerous objects. What happened to common sense? Taking responsibility for your own actions?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Cork popping is fine, but why stand directly over the bottle, looking at the cork after 200km of hard riding?

I suspect Girmay is tea total and not that used to opening sparkling wine bottles.

Also its a sodding big bottle to hold whilst undoing the cage, so whilst in hindsight bending over it to do the cage may appear foolish, most of us are faced with a much smaller bottle on a table so it more natural just to pick it up and point it away from our faces.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The whole podium thing is a load of bollocks anyway. Pleased to see there are no more "podium girls". Is that a covid measure or have they gone for good?

Just my ever so humble ...

Pleased to see there are no more "podium girls". Is that a covid measure or have they gone for good?

I think the Giro still has a couple of "girls" lurking around, but they are not required to kiss anyone (and yes, I think Co*id was the driver for this change).

The whole podium thing is a load of bollocks anyway.
What, no prizes? No applauding the winners? Prizes for everyone?? Medals just or taking part? Is that what you want??

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The whole podium thing is a load of bollocks anyway. Pleased to see there are no more "podium girls". Is that a covid measure or have they gone for good?

Just my ever so humble ...

they are In hiding from Peter Sagan....

Agree its a somewhat outdated practice, better to have some local dignitary metaphorically handing out the prizes. I do think the podium ceremonies should remain though,, presenting the jerseys etc. It would like taking away the medal ceremonies from the olympics.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Corkgate....staring Magnus Cork Nielson.:rolleyes:

And Danny and Boy van Poppel

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Henri Desgrange would be turning in his grave at the thought of riders being given expensive wine. Make them buy their own cup of thin gruel before going off to find their lodgings for the night. The wine should be reserved for the race organisers.

Top Bottom