Giro 2022.....SPOILERS.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm *guessing* that they used to hand the bottle to the winner, but since Co*id they've placed it on the ground (and no kissing).
(and if you're handed it, it's almost instinctive to open it the "safe" way. whereas if it's on the ground, there's a tendency to open it on the ground!)

No-one considered the unintended consequence, and bike-racing being quite a ... chaotic business, the first time someone had a near miss (and I know this has happened before the Giro), everyone was too busy to worry about this being a serious safety issue.

Video message from Girmay. Good news is that it looks like he has not suffered serious damage to his eye, which could have happened.

@Shadow will be disturbed to note that Girmay mis-identifes the sparkling wine. ;)

View: https://twitter.com/IntermarcheWG/status/1526834133049044993

I had a quick twittisode over lunch. Interesting to note many comments from outside the normal pro-cycling niche! e.g. a tweet asking if BG is out of the Giro if he doesn't start today (!!) - this seems a sure sign he is bringing in new fans👍

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Great win for Dainese to beat the favourites in a sprint.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Great win for Dainese to beat the favourites in a sprint.

Yes - superb! I can barely believe how he got that.

As for the corks... It is pretty amazing how cork-popping had escaped health and safety scrutiny for so long! I have seen lots of near misses before (including VdP earlier in this Giro!) but seeing what happened yesterday, it would have been ridiculous to let the practice continue as it was. I bet within a year or two it will be standard practice in every sport for the corks to be pre-popped***.

*** By cork-poppers with the required training and certification! :laugh:

Yes - superb! I can barely believe how he got that.

As for the corks... It is pretty amazing how cork-popping had escaped health and safety scrutiny for so long! I have seen lots of near misses before (including VdP earlier in this Giro!) but seeing what happened yesterday, it would have been ridiculous to let the practice continue as it was. I bet within a year or two it will be standard practice in every sport for the corks to be pre-popped***.

*** By cork-poppers with the required training and certification! :laugh:

Cork popping is fine, but why stand directly over the bottle, looking at the cork after 200km of hard riding?

Top Bottom