Giro De Italia Feminin, Maps and Profiles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

Yeah, Van Vleuten has been superb all season.

I like stage five. I think it could actually tell quite a bit because there's a basically flat stage in between there and the Ghisallo stage so riders may take a risk there feeling they can recuperate the following day. The opening day last year wasn't tough but the finish opened gaps so it could be similar. But these things may become quite academic from the start of stage eight in particular onwards.

More flat stuff tomorrow people, 90km of sprint-dom.

Skip Madness

By the way, the person who stuck up all those videos of last year's race and the stage one videos that BBR links to above has their YouTube page here for you to keep an eye on - stages two and three are going up as I type. They've also put up some stuff from the 2008 Giro.

OP
OP
B

BBRoberts

More Videos

I don't really see the need since Skip posted the link, but anyway...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo8VLA_C0ho
Stage 2 - Part 1 - Rai Sport 1 TV

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oA7J6HSmt8
Stage 2 - Part 2 - Rai Sport 1 TV

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6qNIk5XTT8
Stage 2 - Part 3 - Rai Sport 1 TV

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q-atGxkQBY
Stage 3 - Part 1 - Rai Sport 1 TV

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JZQZot855M
Stage 3 - Part 2 - Rai Sport 1 TV

Strangely part 3 is missing.

OP
OP
B

BBRoberts

Sharon Laws

Confirmed, I checked Cicloweb, and could gather that they say she broke her collarbone. Very few details otherwise about the crash.

OP
OP
B

BBRoberts

Few observations

I noticed at the finish that there were not many fans roadside. That's not a good sign. I got quite a few years of the Giro De Feminin on tape or DVD and the crowds were usually decent and in some years, and other years awesome. I have the Luperini wins, 95-98 too and those years had big crowds and a lot of fanfare. Just by viewing these podium celebrations, the fanfare is very light, the crowds also very thin. There doesn't seem to be a lot of excitement in the crowds like years past. This is Italy too, so that's not a good sign since this is the crown jewel for them. Cities typically would have better crowds as where the mountain stages will be very odd mix of tourists, some fans and a lot of people who are just working the race.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
BBRoberts said:
...the Giro De Feminin...

For the love of God, please:

Giro
Giro d'Italia
Giro d'Italia Femminile
Giro Ciclistico Internazionale Femminile
Giro Femminile
Giro Donne

but not "Giro de Feminin" - that's just an abomination, a desecration of the beautiful Italian language... Do you refer to the Tour de France as the "Tour of Male"?

Skip Madness

Ina wins di nuovo. Four out of four. Tomorrow really should be the end of that, though. Should. Stage result:

(1) Ina Teutenberg (HTC)
(2) Kirsten Wild (Cervélo)
(3) Shelley Evans (United States)
(4) Giorgia Bronzini (Gauss)
(5) Annemiek Van Vleuten (Netherlands)
(6) Alessandra D'Ettorre (Top Girls)
(7) Barbara Guarischi (Michela Fanini)
(8) Marianne Vos (Netherlands)
(9) Rasa Leleivyte (Safi)
(10) Valentina Scandolara (Vaiano)

OP
OP
B

BBRoberts

Circle of the Italian Women

No it's not. You are making a big deal out of nothing instead of focusing on bike racing. I know, cause I have the records books. It's been called all kinds of things in different languages. I'm not Italian, and I don't live there so I can call it anything I want. In Dutch it would be Ronde, in Italian it means Circle, so in English I can call it the Circle of the Italian Women, in French Giro De Feminin and it's been called that before by huge media outlets like CN and others. True Femminile would be the Italian usuage but again, I am not writing in Italian, and I don't speak Italian and our fans are English. I could call it the women's tour of Italy, but Feminin is used for many races and it's a common term. So chill...

Legs

Hmm, I did a google search for "Giro de Feminin", and the only person (people?) who use that term are BBRoberts, Bart Roberts, Jane Belleville, Charlotte Berry, Jack Rackham, GoneBeforeMyTime and Calico Jack, who are all you. Go figure. It's not common; it's unusual and it's just wrong.

Will1985

Über Member
Spot the person using online translation :ohmy: It has many meanings depending on the context...in the sense of cycling, it is very much a 'tour'.

Don't worry, I've seen worse though. #1 rule of naming your business: check with someone who actually knows the language rather than shoving it into a translator :bicycle:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
BBRoberts said:
I'm not Italian, and I don't live there so I can call it anything I want.

Yes, but there's a limit if you want people either to understand you or to not think you have no idea what you are talking about! Clearly the 'Circle of Italian Women' (etc.), is both inaccurate and silly (although it has a certain poetry...). If you just want English, 'Women's Tour of Italy' works perfectly well, otherwise the Italian is clear to anyone who follows cycling... as far as abbreviations go, GdIF is pretty simple too, and only costs you four keystrokes! It takes more effort to sound silly! ;)

OP
OP
B

BBRoberts

Women's tour

Fans certainly understand the term feminin. You probably won't find a person on the face of the earth who doesn't understand this term. You can call it Giro Donne too, which I also use but many people don't understand the word Donne as where they do with Feminin. I have also used Women's Tour of Italy, or Tour of Gemany.

Will 1985 is correct. You can use any specfic language words you want you feel nails it to that class or language of readers as long as it's reasonably sound, and Feminin is. In Dutch Ronde is used instead of Giro, but both means round or circle. Women is simply a matter of translation and I can use what I feel is most known across the board.

You won't find much online with comprehensive record books. In fact in many records books from many different countries and languages they do indeed substitute native words to define a race, and I have seen it many ways in these books, no matter if it's Women, Donne, Feminin, and even other words for women. The readers have to known what it means in their language, or use a universal word like Feminin is ok. It's defined in their languages so their readers can understand what it means. I often use one of the most popular words used in the history books to define women in cycling, so I don't have a problem with it. Enough said...

Legs

Flying Monkey has the nail squarely on the head - by using this strange mélange of languages, not using the correct names for these events, you make people think that you don't know what you're writing about. Which is a shame, because (besides the hyperbole and repetition) you have a good knowledge of women's cycling, your arguments are sound, and your aspirations for a more equitable and high-profile women's pro scene are laudable.

OP
OP
B

BBRoberts

4 in a row?

Nobody talking about Teutenberg winning 4 in a row? That's never happened I think. I believe this is a record. Do we have a record here gang? Zinaida Stahurskaia and Regina Schleicher each win 4 stages in a row at the Grande Boucle in 2001 and 2003. Jeannie Longo won 8 stages in a row during the 1987 Tour De Femenino Yodora in Colombia, winning all but one stage, taking the final GC as well as both the points and mountains competitions.

Top Bottom