Giro De Italia Feminin, Maps and Profiles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

I expect it to be her last day in pink because with the climbing tomorrow being more relentless (although not always difficult) she will find it harder to recuperate time between the climbs.

OP
OP
B

BBRoberts

Chit Chat

Legs has the wrong photo of the Stelvio Pass. That's the Prato side, they are not climbing that side. Prato is much harder then the Bormio side. Stevens won solo which is nice, congrats. However Pooley margin is not the end. I'm not sure what is going on with Pooley but while that would be a time gap of death in a regular tour, it might not mean much if Pooley feels good in the next two days. She could make up that and more, but one thing is for sure, she will never regain that on Abbott. Abbott is certainly set to win, since Mara should easily overcome Stevens. Stevens can climb but not good enough to keep her lead on Abbott in the climbs to come. I am still putting a lot of faith in Pooley, although by looking at some photos it seems perhaps she's not feeling well. Perhaps too many races, peaked and burned out now, but wait and see.

GC Final

1. Abbott
2. Pooley
3. Arndt

OP
OP
B

BBRoberts

Blackout

Hey guys and gals, getting spoiled with that Rai Sport video coverage? Italian journalists are all going to be on strike tomorrow, which means that there may be no video coverage. I can't confirm really, wait and see but can you believe it? Right at the worse possible moment. Out of 365 days of the year, and they have to do it right during the two most historic days ever of the Women's Giro.

For crying out loud, if you want to rag on something, rag about that!!

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Cyclingnews reports that Emma punctured at the foot of the Sormano - and it appears that she never got back in touch with the Vos/Arndt group. I can imagine that the hammer went down then.

OP
OP
B

BBRoberts

My friend was there at the finish, and he said Emma was in tears. He said too he feels Emma is not in good form perhaps, as she's been winning races all year long. I don't know about the flat, but the ITT was also not an a good indication for Emma. I'm not sure how much time the flat might of cost, but she's heartbroken. I also saw a photo of Claudia trying to confort her. We got more photos coming. I saw we, we share photos for many years now. However yes, three cheers for Davide Ronconi!

Skip Madness

After Abbott won yesterday in Livigno, she only gone done it again on the Stelvio. We have a winner! To collect your prize, just ride 115km in and around Monza, maintaining un upright position on the bicycle.

No other stage results yet.

Skip Madness

Amber Neben crashed out, but it seems that she will be OK.

Stage results:

(1) Mara Abbott (United States)
(2) Emma Pooley (Cervélo) +0'27"
(3) Judith Arndt (HTC) +1'43"
(4) Tatiana Guderzo (Valdarno) +1'50"
(5) Tatiana Antoshina (Valdarno) +2'58"
(6) Evgenya Vysotska (Valdarno) +3'27"
(7) Claudia Häusler (Cervélo) +3'38"
(8) Edwige Pitel (Michela Fanini) +5'55"
(9) Olga Zabelinskaya (Safi) +7'14"
(10) Marianne Vos (Netherlands) +7'44"

Provisional GC (please allow for rubbish maths):

(1) Mara Abbott (United States)
(2) Judith Arndt (HTC) +2'08"
(3) Tatiana Guderzo (Valdarno) +3'05"
(4) Claudia Häusler (Cervélo) +5'29"
(5) Emma Pooley (Cervélo) +6'53"
(6) Evgeniya Vysotska (Valdarno) +8'26"
(7) Marianne Vos (Netherlands) +9'32"
(8) Tatiana Antoshina (Valdarno) +12'05"

Three riders in the top eight for Valdarno - excellent Giro for them.

Skip Madness

Shelley Evans has taken the final stage, rounding out a remarkable ten days for the American team.

No changes in the GC, with Abbott a richly deserving winner, Vos taking points and young rider, Pooley taking the mountains and Guderzo securing best Italian. Arndt and Guderzo both exceeded how I thought they'd do in the climbs, as did Vos. Häusler hung in but never looked to excel and is demonstrably a level below Pooley and Abbott in the mountains. Not sure what the case was with Pooley, but for whatever reason she was very good but not quite strong enough. The fact that she still got two big second places in stages, fifth overall and the mountains classification speaks for her class and adds to her phenomenal season. Evgeniya Vysotska impressed; Olga Zabelinskaya really impressed. But above all Abbott limited her loss in the ITT and cleared up the two biggest mountain stages. I'm also made up that Evie Stevie won a great stage, and with another year riding at this level I think she'll be able to challenge for the win a race like this.

Hopefully we'll be getting more parcours like these in the future. Next year - if the current North/South alteration will continue to be observed - we'll see lower latitudes. I hope that means Blockhaus or Monte Nerone. Who knows whether this year's parcours marks a turning point towards tougher Giri in the future or will just be a one-off...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Pooley, but for whatever reason she was very good but not quite strong enough. The fact that she still got two big second places in stages, fifth overall and the mountains classification speaks for her class and adds to her phenomenal season.

I am guessing she was just a bit tired!

OP
OP
B

BBRoberts

Shelley Evans has taken the final stage, rounding out a remarkable ten days for the American team.

No changes in the GC, with Abbott a richly deserving winner, Vos taking points and young rider, Pooley taking the mountains and Guderzo securing best Italian. Arndt and Guderzo both exceeded how I thought they'd do in the climbs, as did Vos. Häusler hung in but never looked to excel and is demonstrably a level below Pooley and Abbott in the mountains. Not sure what the case was with Pooley, but for whatever reason she was very good but not quite strong enough. The fact that she still got two big second places in stages, fifth overall and the mountains classification speaks for her class and adds to her phenomenal season. Evgeniya Vysotska impressed; Olga Zabelinskaya really impressed. But above all Abbott limited her loss in the ITT and cleared up the two biggest mountain stages. I'm also made up that Evie Stevie won a great stage, and with another year riding at this level I think she'll be able to challenge for the win a race like this.

Hopefully we'll be getting more parcours like these in the future. Next year - if the current North/South alteration will continue to be observed - we'll see lower latitudes. I hope that means Blockhaus or Monte Nerone. Who knows whether this year's parcours marks a turning point towards tougher Giri in the future or will just be a one-off...

Abbott proves to be the best climber, as least for now. Mara was interviewed in the Italian press. She said she did not believe Emma was 100 percent, and that Emma set a high pace, but was not able to respond when she, Mara took flight on the Stelvio. Amber Neben is not alright, broken collarbone. Evie Stevens finished 40 minutes down, not that good, I expected better.

The ones who impress are as you say, Vos, Guderzo who for big riders prove they can really gut it out and hang in there. They are WORLD CLASS! Certainly Arndt is a legend in her own right. For a big rider, she can climb, and this is no secret. I have known this since the early days of the Grande Boucle. Mara said Arndt is to be respected as a dangerous rival because she has experience and she recovers quickly. Look at how close Arndt is to Mara on the GC, and in a tour with climbs like these? Arndt is certainly a rider of the ages as she is also no spring chicken. Claudia did well, all things considered. She did not appear to gain much help from Emma, and she finished high on the GC. Claudia is certainly a solid rider. Olga does impress, the old Russkie climbed well in old editions of the Grand Boucle, no newcome to cycling, she was always good. Evgeniya Vysotska does impress, I saw her in the Gracia Orlova and for what appears to be an older rider, she proves to be once again a solid stage racer. She looks as old as Longo. Tatiana Antoshina rode well, as she did at Orlova.

Disappointments?

Pucinskaite was not under 30 minutes, and she seems to be slipping into retirement. Tiffany Cromwell an hour back. She was thin and climbing well last year, this year she seems overweight and she just doesn't look good. Annemiek Van Vleuten was over an hour back, big dissapointment. Svetlana Bubnenkova two hours back, huge disappointment!

Skip Madness

Zabelinskaya seems to have been out of the loop for ages. I'm really impressed for her to be so high after so long and not having heard of her much this season (I know there was a bit of wrangling for her during the transfer period). She's still not that old I don't think, about 27/28. EDIT: She's actually 30 now.

resal

Veteran
I think well done to Skip and BBR on this site, Cycling News and the BBC. Well done to you both. And Skip, if it is you posting the Giro updates on you tube - again - well done. Lots of hits and good interest and commentary on this site and the BBC. I just don't know what is going on with the BBC. They put time and effort into cycling but seem to have a completely blind spot for women's road. It makes them look like very weird. Talking of which BBR's threads on the CN forum also got some hits. I particularly liked the Hey guys Mara Abbott in Pink thread and how it developed. BBR I can only confer - the number one thing that has to change is the media. It is the foot on the windpipe of women's road cycling.
A final laugh - over on veloriders - some fools are arguing about lack of coverage of their men only Tour de France on the the BBC. Live stage ends, radio 2 4, & 1 updates at all sports bulletins and live text on the web site is not good enough. Emma Pooley got nothing from the BBC for being probably the 2nd best rider at the Giro. Now that is something to complain about.

Top Bottom