Giro d'Italia 2015 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I've been equally, if not more, surprised at the ageing Tiralongo's form. He's either out there winning stages or leading the train out halfway up a mountain.
Lest we forget, Kreuziger is due up before the beak sometime soon. His form in this race has been noticeably more believable in this race, than the last time he almost outrode Bertie (can't recall which G it was). Getting caught outright or playing about with your BP, just before a visit to CAS would be awfully bad form.
Absolutely!! (it was the 2013 tdf btw).

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm with @400bhp - the evidence from what we're seeing is inconclusive. It is a relatively weak field and Landa has shown enough promise in the past to give his performance a veneer of credibility.

However...

The thing that really niggles is the fact that *every day* so far the race has finished well ahead of the fastest schedule - which is something we haven't seen for a few years. Even in 2012, Sky weren't tearing it up that much, were they? (Average speed of 2012 Tour was 1.6kmh slower than 2005, which is a significant time difference over 3000km.)

Also: stage 17 of the 2011 Vuelta, Froome looked half dead at the finish. Would like to see more visible signs of what racing like this is doing to Landa. Even Bertie showed signs of suffering today.

Plus, the biggest reason of all for being suspicious of Landa: he's riding for Astana, who shouldn't even be at the race.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
[QUOTE"rich p, post: 3717746, member: 500"]lt's all speculative but if you look at his Giro results for last year, he's made a stellar leap
http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?id=140293&season=2014
Well, he has had some good stage wins, notably on stage 4 mountain finish in giro trentino last year.

well, im gonna give him the benefit if the doubt.

now, what astana should have done is hide him until the vuelta. Could have won that, would then get interesting,[/QUOTE]

Fair enough but I suspect that Astana are as surprised as us at his form. At least he is young, and it's, at least, conceivable that he could make large improvements.

I'm with @400bhp - the evidence from what we're seeing is inconclusive. It is a relatively weak field and Landa has shown enough promise in the past to give his performance a veneer of credibility.

However...

The thing that really niggles is the fact that *every day* so far the race has finished well ahead of the fastest schedule - which is something we haven't seen for a few years. Even in 2012, Sky weren't tearing it up that much, were they? (Average speed of 2012 Tour was 1.6kmh slower than 2005, which is a significant time difference over 3000km.)

Also: stage 17 of the 2011 Vuelta, Froome looked half dead at the finish. Would like to see more visible signs of what racing like this is doing to Landa. Even Bertie showed signs of suffering today.

Plus, the biggest reason of all for being suspicious of Landa: he's riding for Astana, who shouldn't even be at the race.

Yep, we're not alone in being surprised at how fresh he looks on the climbs and at the finish. I heard a rumour that h didn't even need a shower after the Mortirolo:whistle:

I'd quite like to see Amador get 3rd, I'm kinda warming to him.

I'm also amused at Contador taking revenge today for Astana's wheel change attack, like he forgot about the 2010 Andy Schleck chaingate incident when he did the same thing and attacked and later denied all knowledge of knowing about Schleck's misfortune.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
if Contador is still killing it in the mountains in Le tour like he is at the Giro, then shirley that will set alarm bells?? Also i can't see him doing a number on Froome, Nibali and wee Nairo the same way he has on the team leaders at the Giro

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I don't know, he has got just over a month to recover. Convention says you can't do the double, but then people have done the double in the past - admittedly including some notorious dopers. I don't think ripping it up in the mountains will necessarily be alarming, but ripping it up consistently at the expensive of the much stiffer opposition in the tour probably will, particularly if the speeds are suspiciously high as well.

And don't call me Shirley.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Would like to see more visible signs of what racing like this is doing to Landa. Even Bertie showed signs of suffering today.

That seems to me an issue. Bertie's attack over Mortirolo was impressive, maybe even suspiciously so - but he kept taking breaks on the way up, had help from Igor Anton and others, looked tired towards the top and then didn't have the legs to attack Landa at the end. Yesterday it seemed he wanted to put in more of an attack than he did but ran out of legs. The others who've accompanied them - Hesjedal, Kruijswijk - have all looked tired. Landa didn't even look to be breaking sweat, and he's been doing heavy work day in day out.

I think it's mechanical doping. Landa is the six million dollar man.

400bhp

Guru
Don't forget, when the big rivals hammered it in the TT, Landa (relatively speaking) pottered along. Like a rest day for him.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Astana ripping it up at the front again. They obviously think Contador hasn't got the drugs legs

The Couch

Über Member
Astana ripping it up at the front again. They obviously think Contador hasn't got the drugs legs
Although the doper in front is riding faster the dopers in blue ;)

Will Visconti be able to finish this amazing solo (especially if Landa and Contador want to give it a go for the GC)?

Top Bottom