Giro d'Italia 2016 ***spoilers***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think Nibali will still take it.

I think so - tactically it was the best time for him. If he had come to the steep bit with Nibali, then I would have said it was better for Chaves.

beastie

Guru
Was Nibali 'faking' over the last couple of days, and always planning this? I wouldn't put it past him.
Surely nobody fakes 4 mins of losses.
Great ride though today. He is showing now why you should NEVER give up...it ain't over till its over. The stage where he held the gap solo for 35 kms is looking like a great ride now.

beastie

Guru
Well that makes for a very interesting stage. Another one tomorrow as well hopefully. Amazing turnaround from Nibbles.

Kruijswijck will be disappointed with that but he should be happy he's not in the back of the ambulance after that crash.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Was Nibali 'faking' over the last couple of days, and always planning this? I wouldn't put it past him.

I don't know. Over literally the last couple of days, on the flatter stages, maybe, but they probably weren't his opportunities anyway. Since the beginning of the week, no, I don't think so - if he had it in him and with such a big chunk of time to bring back, would he risk leaving things to the last two stages?

Oh, and speaking of unrepentant ex-dopers, here's Vino.

This to come tomorrow and you wouldn't bet against Nibali taking it now. Astonishing stage.

upload_2016-5-27_16-17-59.png

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The summit of the Bonette isn't much lower than the summit of the Agnello. And the stage is only 134km long so the pace is going to be brutal from the start. Insane.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
This to come tomorrow and you wouldn't bet against Nibali taking it now. Astonishing stage.

Still the four main suspects in it with Nibali only 44" down. After flogging himself to death today, injured, and with no real team backup over mountains like that, I can't see Kruijswijk pulling the time back. Valverde's not looking up to it, and I can't help feeling OGE are shaded by Astana for strength in depth.

Then again, on brutal (copyright @smutchin ) stages like these, it could all turn on its head again...

Going to be one to watch.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
This a great looking stage. In theory, a short, sharp, high mountain stage suits Chaves more than any of the other contenders. He struggles on the longer stages, so he did really well to contain Nibali to the extent he did today. However, there are also a lot of descents, including a very important one right near the end, and Nibali is by far the best descender amongst the top riders. It's too high for Valverde to be comfortable, and it's too short and steep for Kruijswijk to come back. I'm still going to go with Chaves because I think Nibali may have given a lot to get the stage win today...

However, let's not forget that there are also quite a few climbers who will be wanting a stage win tomorrow and the racing is just going to be crazy. I can't see much in the way of defensive riding going on because the gaps are so small at the very top.

Top Bottom