Giro d'Italia **Spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
Granted we have a threads about the Norn Iron bits however not one dedicated to the racing.

The Start List is available now.

A cursory glance at the contenders might give the impression the really big guys aren't lining up for this one but a second look shows Basso, Cunego, Hesjedal & Scarponi have all been on the top of the podium, Uran Uran & J Rod have been 2nd while Evans won the tour with Quintana placing second there last year.

Quintana is my favourite with Uran Uran up there too.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'd love to see some of the young guns given a chance to shine - Ulissi and Majka in particular strike me as two who could usurp their nominal team leaders before the end of the race. Cunego seems to be gearing up for this one nicely, but I don't see him as a GT winner any more, and I'm not sure Roche ever was - though if Hesjedal can do it...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Okay not long to go now before the first GT of the year. It lacks the heavyweights we have been used to in previous years but it shoud be a fascinating battle and parcours as usual.
Quintana is odds on but many a slip, as they say.
If I was a betting man, I'd rather have a few quid on Purito at 5-2 or even Cuddles or Dan Martin at 12/1 and 33/1 .
I don't rate Uran's chances unless he's been keeping his powder very dry up until now, nor Pozzovivo's apart from stages.

Scarponi and Basso too old (and dopers!), Majka too young. Hesjedal hasn't been on the case since he fessed up to being a previous doper but didn't inhale.
Anyone I've missed?

Okay not long to go now before the first GT of the year. It lacks the heavyweights we have been used to in previous years but it shoud be a fascinating battle and parcours as usual.
If I was a betting man, I'd rather have a few quid on Purito at 5-2 or even Cuddles or Dan Martin at 12/1 and 33/1 .
I don't rate Uran's chances unless he's been keeping his powder very dry up until now, nor Pozzovivo's apart from stages.

Scarponi and Basso too old (and dopers!), Majka too young. Hesjedal hasn't been on the case since he fessed up to being a previous doper but didn't inhale.
Anyone I've missed?

What he said; I see it the same way. I think Purito is worth a shout and having shown what he can do in the elite company of Froome, Contador and Quintana (at Tirreno-Adriatico) this may well be his GT.

I'd still love the Columbian to do it though, if only to set up the TDF 2015 as I am under the impression he will not be there this year. I can't see Hesjedal doing what he once could do and I'm not sure that Daniel Martin will have enough either.

Looking forward to see whether any of the other sprinters - Viviani and Bouhanni in particular - can trouble Kittel. Something tells me not.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I fear Purito is destined to be always the bridesmaid. Never seems to quite have what it takes. He may never get a better chance at a GT though, and he does appear to be in good shape.

The Couch

Über Member

Anyone I've missed?
I'd rate Pozzovivo (currently) as high as Martin, he has been riding pretty good this year and has proven in the previous years he can be a GT man (Martin yet to do so)

You did forget Cunego, who has a bit of a revival season. But he'd do well to get a top 5.

You also forgot 2012 number 3... Thomas De Gendt :biggrin:. He doesn't look to be anywhere near that form (so personally I'd not even put him at a Cunego, Scarponi, Basso expectancy -level), but then again he wasn't among the favourites 2 years ago either. He's just a weird rider that is completely unpredictable.

Hont

Guru
Would love to see Cadel do it, but I can't see it happening. He's quite old now and hasn't really shown GT winning form this year. I can't help feeling that it will be between Quintana, Uran (4th in the Romandie TT) or Purito but I'll be cheering on Dan Martin.

Right that's the five to watch that cycling news picked out, so if someone else wins then it's not my fault I missed them.

Top Bottom