Giro helmets - huge appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give a recommendation for the quality, safety and customer service offered by Giro and their dstributors Madison.

I had a HUGE crash last night, unfortunately a cat ran straight across me whilst at the bottom of a fast descent approx 35 mph. This resulted in a broken collar bone, plus nasty road rash and wounds on my left side. Thankfully my Giro Atmos helmet did its job brilliantly. Its cracked but no concussion or head damage what so ever. The comfort and ventilation of this helmet prior to this was first class.

To top it off, Giro / Madison offer a reduced price replacement service following accidents, So I will have a new one at approx half RRP.

PLEASE PLEASE, always wear a helmet. I know some people are sceptical - myself included before - but I am certain that without a good helmet I would at best had serious concussion and at worst who knows. This was an accident in an instant. I don't know what happened to the cat. The crazy thing is whilst I was lying in a mess on the road 2 cars passed without stopping! Luckily some good people stopped and called an ambulance shortyly afterwards.

Anyway, take care all and please always wear a good well fitting lid

Tim

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give a recommendation for the quality, safety and customer service offered by Giro and their dstributors Madison.

I had a HUGE crash last night, unfortunately a cat ran straight across me whilst at the bottom of a fast descent approx 35 mph. This resulted in a broken collar bone, plus nasty road rash and wounds on my left side. Thankfully my Giro Atmos helmet did its job brilliantly. Its cracked but no concussion or head damage what so ever. The comfort and ventilation of this helmet prior to this was first class.

To top it off, Giro / Madison offer a reduced price replacement service following accidents, So I will have a new one at approx half RRP.

PLEASE PLEASE, always wear a helmet. I know some people are sceptical - myself included before - but I am certain that without a good helmet I would at best had serious concussion and at worst who knows. This was an accident in an instant. I don't know what happened to the cat. The crazy thing is whilst I was lying in a mess on the road 2 cars passed without stopping! Luckily some good people stopped and called an ambulance shortyly afterwards.

Tim
Heal quickly my friend and result with the helmet. Did you write to them in praise of it by any chance. It is fantastic customer service however you cut it.

I can believe but not comprehend how a driver can pass anyone injured and not stop unless they are sociopaths and thus lack a conscience.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Hope you mend fast. In the mean time I'd take up a new hobby of loitering at the bottom of that hill with a large, fast dog and a quick release lead....

Cats. Go figure.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi everyone,

Tim

Sorry to hear about your crash and that you are up and about albeit with some injuries and all that.. but nope... I'll carry on taking my chances thank you.

Its cracked but no concussion or head damage what so ever.

I'm always amused by the way people take a cracked helmet as evidence of how well it did its job. The only cracks on a helmet after an accident should be surface tears in the polystyrene in the transition zone between the crushed polystyrene in the impact area and the full thickness polystyrene elsewhere. Anything else means the helmet failed. Helmets work by crushing the polystyrene not by it cracking, and the shell is there to help stop them cracking. If you want to understand the differences in energies involved try crushing a slab of 25mm polystyrene insulation down to 6mm thick using your fist. Now trying snapping another slab in two.

If it had worked perfectly as designed and you did indeed hit your head at 35mph the effect of the helmet would have been to reduce the impact speed to the equivalent of 32.7mph. I'm sure that 2.3mph made all the difference and the helmet saved your life™

Shift over 3bm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom