Giro Rumble VR pedal compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dfthe1

I currently ride on flat pedals, mainly because I often carry my young daughter in a rear seat and don't want to risk a 'clipless moment' with her on the back.

My wife's just bought me a pair of Giro Rumble VR shoes for my birthday:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/giro/rumble-vr-mtb-shoe-ec100726#answers

Her intention was for me to use them without cleats for now and move to clipless when my daughter moves to her own bike. But it's got my wondering about double sided SPD/flat pedals like the Shimano M324 or M434.

The only thing putting me off is a comment on the Evans site:

"You need to be careful here. These shoes need the small, cleat only pedals such as Shimano M520 / 540. They are not compatible with Shimano M424. Cost me £25 to find this out."

It looks like this is because the sole gets in the way:

http://thecyclehub.net/quick-review-shimano-pd-m424-pedals/

I can't find much more info about the Giro Rumble VR and pedal compatibility, particularly with the M324. I know the answer to to try them with some different pedals, but does anyone have any experience or advice?

And are there some better SPD/flat pedals I should be looking at?

Thanks!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Any of the shimano mtb pedals without a cage should be fine (m520 etc)

Sixmile

Veteran
Thread revival, almost to the year. Thinking of getting these Giros for commuting and wearing during work hours. How have yours worked out with the pedals and are the shoes useable to walk about it? I'd probably be on my feet for 5 or 6 hours during a working day.

vickster

Legendary Member
I personally wouldn't walk around day in and day out on SPD cleats. Uncomfortable for hours on end given the cleat and stiff sole, and even with a recessed cleat you can slip on hard surfaces, stairs etc. Be surprised if not a potential H&S risk
Just change shoes when you get to work?

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

I love them. They've been great. Very comfy to wear for hours.

I've probably walked around in them for up to 3 hours at a time. No issues but the cleat isn't recessed so much that there is no interaction with the floor -- you can feel it crunching on small stones etc.

Got a pair of these knocked down in Evans around October last year and have been really pleased with them,they get used with the 520 pedals and some old Wellgos which are spd one size only in a standard metal frame and they have been fine;not walked on them for very long but they seem pretty comfy.

Sixmile

Veteran
I personally wouldn't walk around day in and day out on SPD cleats. Uncomfortable for hours on end given the cleat and stiff sole, and even with a recessed cleat you can slip on hard surfaces, stairs etc. Be surprised if not a potential H&S risk
Just change shoes when you get to work?

My plan is to use these shoes to commute to work (13 sweaty miles) and when I get to the office get showered. Then I'll be packing up my laptop bag and cycling a few easy flat miles to schools, jumping off, locking up the bike, getting what I need then back to the office at the end of the day before riding home.

I've just picked up a pair for £52 delivered. If they drop in price I'll maybe treat myself to the blue pair too if they're as decent as they seem to be.

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

My plan is to use these shoes to commute to work (13 sweaty miles) and when I get to the office get showered. Then I'll be packing up my laptop bag and cycling a few easy flat miles to schools, jumping off, locking up the bike, getting what I need then back to the office at the end of the day before riding home.

I've just picked up a pair for £52 delivered. If they drop in price I'll maybe treat myself to the blue pair too if they're as decent as they seem to be.

I'd say that's very doable. One thing I've just done is swap the laces for elastic ones which has made them much easier to get on and off.

By the way, your job sounds interesting -- what do you do?

Sixmile

Veteran
My wife has told me that I need to change the laces. I'm thinking some charcoal grey or something. Where would I pick up elasticated boyo's?

Not that interesting but I survey school buildings for the local authority so I'm flat out during any holidays, that's when my plan will kick into action!

Edit: I see CRC do a few sets of laces, I'll maybe pop round tonight to pick some up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom