Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...I'm through moving over to let cars pass...they can bloody well wait...give them an inch and they'll take you out for good...no more...I'm sitting in the middle of my lane and they can eat my dust:biggrin:

Be positive and let them know you won't be pushed around but remember .... there is no point in being dead right.

Cab

Standard good roadcraft to keep your road space and allow passing only when it is safe to do so. There are some roads where thats bloody hard (where the width varies rather, I always find that harder), but its the right way to ride on most town roads.

domtyler

Über Member
John Ponting said:
Be positive and let them know you won't be pushed around but remember .... there is no point in being dead right.

Are you suggesting that there are people out there willing to deliberately drive OVER a cyclist?

Maybe, but I think anyone would be unlucky in the extreme to meet a true murdering psychopath like this.

domtyler said:
Are you suggesting that there are people out there willing to deliberately drive OVER a cyclist?

Maybe, but I think anyone would be unlucky in the extreme to meet a true murdering psychopath like this.

Where did you dredge that from? If you want to make up comments then at least use your own name not mine. Read what I typed again.

Accidents can (and do) happen. Sometimes it is better to move over rather than risk being killed. Martyrs die for a cause not cyclists.

domtyler

Über Member
You've lost me somewhat JP, you said "there is no point in being dead right" in response the OPs assertion that he was not going to move over for car drivers any more. I asked if you were suggesting if people would deliberately drive over cyclists and you come back with an hysterical tirade. WTF?

stevenb

of late I'm finding motorists getting impatient going around bends and over taking me on the bend.....I don't hang about either.....some people are just dangerous drivers.
Stay safe though BTFB......if cars wait for me I quite often thank them for their patience..a little nod or wave helps at times I think.
Anyhow....as long as your safely to one side when cars are able to overtake then there won't be any probs.

domtyler said:
You've lost me somewhat JP, you said "there is no point in being dead right" in response the OPs assertion that he was not going to move over for car drivers any more. I asked if you were suggesting if people would deliberately drive over cyclists and you come back with an hysterical tirade. WTF?

no hysteria from me and no WTF either.

You asked if I was suggesting that people would deliberately drive over a cyclist. There was no suggestion what so ever in my post that anybody would do anything of the sort. You seem to be using Daily mail tactics to make up a story.

I said there was no point in being dead right and neither said nor suggested anything else.

domtyler

Über Member
John Ponting said:
no hysteria from me and no WTF either.

You asked if I was suggesting that people would deliberately drive over a cyclist. There was no suggestion what so ever in my post that anybody would do anything of the sort. You seem to be using Daily mail tactics to make up a story.

I said there was no point in being dead right and neither said nor suggested anything else.

You're out to make mischief you naughty little monkey! I know your game.

Come on, tell us what you mean by "there is no point in being dead right".

domtyler said:
You're out to make mischief you naughty little monkey! I know your game.

Come on, tell us what you mean by "there is no point in being dead right".

Dom, no hidden meaning. Just a simple, oft repeated saying from a Met Motorcycle Instructor. Sometimes it's worth giving a little even when you are in the right. Certainly better than being dead. And accidents can happen.

And thanks, at 62 it's been a while since I was called a naughty little monkey.

buggi

Bird Saviour
stevenb said:
of late I'm finding motorists getting impatient going around bends and over taking me on the bend......

me too! i think this is the only place a cycle lane comes in handy... on a bend, especially where you come off an island, to stop them coming in to close to the kerb.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

if I hear them revving up behind me and I dont want them to pass I will simpley raise my right hand in a blocking gesture behind me...confuses the hell out of them that does.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

imagine you wanted to flag down a car..like a copper would by showing the driver the palm of your right hand...your arm simply reaches behind you with the palm of your hand held up for the driver to see....it is quite powerful because they are unsure of what is happening and as such mostly slow down..and back off.

For added emphasis you can push the palm of your hand several times towards them as if to push them down/back.

Top Bottom