Give me some dialogue from your day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
My old Dad: Now, who are you again?
Me: I'm your daughter, Dad.
Dad: Oh, yes of course, but who is your mother?
Me: (Mum's name), she's in the next room Dad.
Dad: What?! She isn't your mother....

Followed by long distressing conversation where we tried to convince Dad that a) yes he was married to Mum, b) nobody had kept this fact from him, c) we three daughters were all her daughters too, d) he really had been living and married to the same woman for 61 years. All with Dad in floods of tears.

Sigh.

jhawk

Veteran
My nephew and his girlfriend are staying with us. She's a teacher in a secondary school (are they still called that?). Anyway, she had been showing her class a lurid elf n safety type film in which some fool climbs a pylon to retrieve a Frisbee and comes to a grisly end.
The class were asked to write down a few sentences describing what they had seen and they then took turns to read them out. All went well until one girl read out, "The boy went after his Frisbee and was killed by a python". Cue shrieks of laughter.
"What's wrong with that?" she demanded.
"A python is a type of fish, you idiot." says one of her dimmer classmates.
Rest of class are now laughing their arses off, rolling in the aisles whilst teacher is trying unsuccessfully to hide her own laughter.

They don't get any brighter, do they? Goodness... :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

gbs

Guru
She (nosy lady at a lunch party) who has just spent 5 minutes providing unsolicited, uninteresting info about her kids : " and how old are you children?"
Me: "Oh, 23 and 29" in a down beat, let us move on sort of voice and wishing to avoid the plethora of questions if I reveal any detail of their employment (they are both medics so there is plenty to talk about).
She, with great emphasis: "how luvleee".

Advice needed: here in genteel SW London luvleee is a common response to any simple statement. Maybe I am too literal, but what to say to such time fillers?

jhawk

Veteran
She (nosy lady at a lunch party) who has just spent 5 minutes providing unsolicited, uninteresting info about her kids : " and how old are you children?"
Me: "Oh, 23 and 29" in a down beat, let us move on sort of voice and wishing to avoid the plethora of questions if I reveal any detail of their employment (they are both medics so there is plenty to talk about).

Advice needed: here in genteel SW London luvleee is a common response to any simple statement. Maybe I am too literal, but what to say to such time fillers?

"Sorry, best be off!"

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My old Dad: Now, who are you again?
Me: I'm your daughter, Dad.
Dad: Oh, yes of course, but who is your mother?
Me: (Mum's name), she's in the next room Dad.
Dad: What?! She isn't your mother....

Followed by long distressing conversation where we tried to convince Dad that a) yes he was married to Mum, b) nobody had kept this fact from him, c) we three daughters were all her daughters too, d) he really had been living and married to the same woman for 61 years. All with Dad in floods of tears.

Sigh.
I'd 'Like' this if it weren't so sad :cry:. Must be very distressing for you and your sisters too. :sad:

61 years - now that's good going ! :smooch: :bravo:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste

"Yes, it is. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some spoons to re-arrange in a drawer somewhere ..." [exit stage right] :thumbsup:

Ganymede

Veteran
Maybe a better approach might be to just agree with him? If he has any level of dementia, you will never persuade him of the truth of a reality that's not his own, and it's better not to try. Sorry for thread derail!
We do do a lot of agreeing but some things we have decided we have to stick to while he is still so lucid most of the time. I am all for the "Contented Dementia" approach where you go along with people's "delusions" (for want of a better word) and this works well with Dad, but it becomes problematic when you have to start constructing a whole different reality about who Mum is and who I am etc. Especially as sometimes he will suddenly turn round and disagree with you because you're not telling the truth!

Thanks for your concern - and @Scoosh. It's tricky but we are coping. Thread derailment! Soz.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd 'Like' this if it weren't so sad :cry:. Must be very distressing for you and your sisters too. :sad:

61 years - now that's good going ! :smooch: :bravo:
Indeed. Dementia is a horrible condition.

It was very similar with my dad towards the end, and coincidentally he lived to just beyond his 61st wedding anniversary.

I visited him shortly before he died and he remembered who I was, but he was glaring at my niece and nephew who were playing at the end of his hospital bed. He asked who they were and was upset when I told him that they were his 2 youngest grandchildren ...

The most distressing thing of all was when I said goodbye to him at noon on a very sunny day before rushing off to catch my train back to Yorkshire. He pleaded with me not to go "in the middle of the night". That was the last time I saw him.

My thoughts are with you, Ganymede.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I saw the big builder bloke again today, he came out to have a little stroke and tickle of my dogs.

He told me he has two cats, one of which nearly broke his heart as he found him half dead in a bush, he took him to the vets.

" seven 'undred quid it cost, seven 'undred! Good job the feckin' thing was insured 'cos I've got seven 'undred quid 'anging out me arse crack ain't I?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I saw the big builder bloke again today, he came out to have a little stroke and tickle of my dogs.

He told me he has two cats, one of which nearly broke his heart as he found him half dead in a bush, he took him to the vets.

" seven 'undred quid it cost, seven 'undred! Good job the feckin' thing was insured 'cos I've got seven 'undred quid 'anging out me arse crack ain't I?
Last last bit almost sprayed tea into my keyboard.

What you might call a rough diamond?

I'm minding my own business in my parents front garden whilst my Christmas cakes cooks...

Hey you,
I look up
Yeh you, what you doin'?
Cooking
No what you doin in there?
Cooking

He drives off. So exactly how many burglars do the gardening and cooking in a house they break into? :wacko:

Now waiting to see what happens next! I've also retreated to the back garden!

GrasB

Veteran
As I lock my bike up, which blocks a guy making a short cut through the middle of the bike stands with a trolley.

Him: Get a job so you can afford a car!
Me: Maybe I have both (swings my car keys in his face, a German luxury brand)
Him: f**kin' hell!
Me: No, not really.
Him: :huh:

Top Bottom