Give me some dialogue from your day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
A dept manager opened a discussion about sealing problems with a particular line of fruit in punnets ...
'I dont think it's the punnets'

It's the usual assumption, it doesnt suit them if it was because then THEY have a problem, it's better (for them) that the problem lies elsewhere.
My reply..
'Experience tells me it usually IS the punnets, but let's go in with an open mind, there could be other reasons too'

It was the punnets . (Poorly made or stored distorts them, then they dont sit in the tooling correctly)

gbb

Legendary Member
Aramus (new guy at work, not quite sure of the correct spelling yet) has just joined the engineering team, to be trained in house. Effectively starting from scratch he was working on the lines in the factory but shows potential...
His words....
'This is the best chance I've ever been given, I'm so happy'

I feel his excitement, it's how I got on the tools, Inhouse training, given a chance, work hard and you can change your life chances and standing tremendously.

I'm genuinely happy for him, he recognises the chance he has been given. Plenty of people would love the chance, few are up to the challenges it brings.

gbb

Legendary Member
Late visitors, son, partner and 3 grandkids. We (wife n myself) havnt eaten, im getting hungry, i want Chinese.
I ask everyone...
'You want Chinese ?, i will pay...'
Sons partner...
'Oooh' (she loves Chinese)
Son....
'Its ok, we were going to have (something i can't remember)' (he doesn't want to put on us)
Sons partner...looking disbelievingly at him
'You (expletive deleted) :ohmy:

I laughed later recalling this....
I said to sons partner...
'I can just imagine what was going through your mind...youve just been offered chinese and your partner has just turned it down....nooooooo :cry:'

We all had chinese :laugh:

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
In the toilet roll aisle in Tesco, a couple in their 20s are examining the various options - different brands, different numbers of rolls per package.

Her: The biggest packs are the cheapest per roll

Him: Yeah, but we aren't going to use 24 toilet rolls, are we?

Her (in that* voice): 'Course we are, in time..... Unless you've thought of a way to stop us shitting"

* All male readers will know exactly what this sounds like

"Who the F**k tied this on?"

"It's a good job you never tied the lifeboats on the Titanic else no-one would of survived!"

Rigging Foreman trying to undo something the Apprentice had tied on the Winch rope, not the most eloquent us Riggers.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Walking down a hospital corridor yesterday I passed a couple of women coming the other way:

"You don't know you're born until you've had a girdle scone!"

I laughed out loud & had to agree with her.

For those who don't know here's a recipe.

gbb

Legendary Member
There is one part of the car park that is actually a dead end of an access route across the carpark. it goes nowhere, is 6ft long, no one walks on it...its actually a car parking bay size and lots of people use it to park in, from department senior managers to line workers. This morning i was reversing in and one fella stands there watching...you can tell the vibe is questioning. I climb out at the moment he gives a finger tap on his head at me..and he walks off.
'Whats up mate ?'
Nothing, he carries on walking. I call out again..
'Whats up mate ?'
Nothing, he carries on walking. I catch up to him and ask again...
Whats the problem ?'

'Its a path, can you not see that ?'
'Its not a path, it doesnt go anywhere, do you question everyone else who parks there ?'
He walks on...
'No, i didnt think you did '

gbb

Legendary Member
Grandaughter (16) and myself were discussing Digby ( our Labrador) who has been a bit OTT with having 3 giggly girls around.
She said, " give him the chop, get all his bits off :laugh:, that'll calm him down'
I replied..'Trans dogs got rights too y'know ' :stop:

'Oooh grandad, , very quick and very PC :laugh:'

In our second hand shop...
Customer (holding up watch): Is this watch waterproof?
Staff member: We don't know madam. The watches are donated; we test them but we don't know if they work underwater.
Customer: Well, can I test it under the tap in your toilet?
Staff member: Um... sure, if you pay for it first...
Thank you, for reminding me how glad I am to have retired from retail 🤣

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
'I remember seeing the bomb leave the underneath of the plane as me and my best mate were running like hell, next thing I knew I woke up in the back of the army ambulance next to my mate.' Today's conversation with one of my residents about a fighter bomber raid in Herne Bay as a kid during the war. Sobering to say the least when you compare it to what we whinge about these days.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
MRI scan yesterday, which turns out to be in a large lorry trailer in a council car park. I am not at all fazed by this, knowing in advance that the procedure is very noisy, a bit claustrophobic, safe and painless. I've been down mines and along narrow galleries extending out half a mile under the sea. I've been in the tunnels under Naples and walked through ones that are only wide enough to move sideways for over 100m in near darkness, so I wasn't expecting claustrophobia to be a problem. My confidence turned out to be misplaced.

On arrival, I hand in a questionnaire and am then shown into the room with the gizmo. The central hole looks a lot smaller than the ones in hospitals I've seen online (it is a lot smaller). The radiographer then gives me the first of two verbal interactions.

Radiographer: Please lie down with your legs here. Hold this panic button in your right hand.

This was my sole briefing on what was to happen next. While I wonder why I would need a panic button, before I can ask, some very uncomfortable ear defenders are placed on my head and I'm immediately borne inside. I find myself lying in the narrowest of tubes. The top is 2 to 3 inches from my face and I am unable to see anything bar the white plastic immediately above my eyes. It is incredibly stuffy as there seems to be no air movement. This is not helped by me wearing a mask as per instructions. It is so narrow that I cannot lie with both arms by my sides, one is stuck up the side of the tube with my shoulder scrunched up.

None of this is intolerable, it's just a bit of discomfort. I wait to see what happens next. Well, nothing for what seems to be an eternity but is probably less than a minute.

Robot voice: The next scan will last 30 seconds.

Next? Did I miss the first one? An almighty din breaks out. 30 seconds later it stops. Well, that was ok, I think, no trouble at all. Why am I not being wheeled out again? While I'm wondering:

Robot voice: The next scan will last 3 minutes.

Ah! Not just 30 seconds then. 3 minutes of aural assault follows that slowly becomes incredibly disorientating. Towards the end, I become conscious that I'm starting to show signs of hyperventilation. Oh Oh. I'm practised in relaxing breathing exercises to control heart rates, albeit I haven't had to use them for years, and the almighty din is not conducive to calm but I stop the sense of panic. The three minutes ends and I can relax. Why am I not being wheeled out?

Robot voice: The next scan will last 5 minutes.

Oh god. I nervously hold the panic button, aptly named for how I am now feeling. Two minutes more of this and it is all I can do not to scream and claw my way out. Why didn't I know at 64 that I'm claustrophobic? The only thing that is keeping me from not pressing the panic button is the thought that I don't want to have to go through this again. I slowy get control back but my breathing is all over the shop and I feel very odd.

Robot voice: The next scan will last 4 minutes

Rinse and repeat. This process continued for a total of about 20 minutes. I had no idea when it would end but end it did and out my trolley came.

Radiographer: Your referrer will get the results in 7 to 10 days. End of second verbal interaction.

I am too shattered to say anything. I half fall off the couch but this goes unnoticed and I almost stagger into the car park. A twenty minute walk later and my surreal phobia discovery starts to fade.

Now in the overall scheme of things medical, this is all quite trivial; just that my earlier confidence that I would be ok turned out to be completely misplaced. Yes, the people skills of the staff weren't great but I was just grateful that from referral to scan was only four weeks. In the current climate, that's very good. I only hope I don't have to do another one.

Top Bottom