Give me some shopping links for chrome road forks, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tallbikes

Regular
hi so I have some very narrow forks on my bike
at the moment and I want to change them out for something
I can fit a thicker tyre in for doing tours,
my forks are chrome plated and id like to get another chrome plated fork
to keep up the aesthetic of my bike haha if anyone knows where I can get a nice set of chrome plated road forks please drop some links :smile: thanks

51cUqpZMZ-L._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
Title edited for clarity.

It's quite important that your fork length (hub axle centre to headset lower race seat) and offset (or 'rake') is a fairly close match to the original or it'll have a detrimental effect on the trail (or 'castor' dimension). You wouldn't be the first person to ruin a bike's handling, or even it's safety, by fitting a wrong un.

Modern road racing bikes have steep head angles and require a lower axle to crown race dimension and a lower offset measurement.
Older road bikes have more relaxed head angle and a greater axle to crown race to accommodate a wider profile tyre.
Touring bikes have an even greater axle to crown dimension to accommodate an even wider tyre plus a mudguard.

What you could end up with, by fitting a tall fork with a lot of rake into a bike designed for a short & straighter fork, is a bike with a very short trail - which will be terrifically sketchy to ride. I an extreme case - such as fitting the fork off a Dutch cruiser to a steep headed track bike you could end up with zero or even negative trail - like backwards castor. Which would be very unpleasant indeed.

Last edited:
I assume from the photo, 1" threaded?
I can have a word with one of our suppliers that are an old school factors, they sometimes have stuff at the back of the back room

OP
OP
tallbikes

tallbikes

Regular
I assume from the photo, 1" threaded?
I can have a word with one of our suppliers that are an old school factors, they sometimes have stuff at the back of the back room
Yes I'm after threaded steering definitely,
I have 622 700c 25c at the moment
But I think it like a 35c or something like that
Thank you!

OP
OP
tallbikes

tallbikes

Regular
This is what I have currently, do you think I'd be able to fit a 35c in there or possibly a 32c?
I don't want to have to change my calipers really
Those are 25c in the pics
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20190306_205928.jpg
    IMG_20190306_205928.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190306_205918.jpg
    IMG_20190306_205918.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190306_205908.jpg
    IMG_20190306_205908.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 33
Ah...nothing they have would suit, if they had it would be more like the one in your OP photo which wouldn't be a match for modern calipers

Don't think you'd get away with 35's in there

OP
OP
tallbikes

tallbikes

Regular
Trial and error I reckon even between tyres...and you're screwed if your wheel goes out of true even a bit

Many new chrome forks tend to be el-cheapo-gaspipo and with a geometry for sit up and beg bikes. You might want to look at something like this and speak to the seller about your requirements (although I have to say they know how to charge)
https://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk/colle...age-chrome-steel-700c-1-threaded-bicycle-fork

I'm pretty sure those are the same forks I have on my bike now, or at least looks like the same spacing

Is there a name for this shape or form?
Like the sloped down arch ?

Attachments

• FK55_Unbranded_Vintage_Chrome_Bicycle_Fork_4_2048x.jpg
    FK55_Unbranded_Vintage_Chrome_Bicycle_Fork_4_2048x.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom