Give SPDs a chance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thefollen

Veteran
Just my tuppence for anyone considering the switch to SPDs.

Sooo, it's been two weeks since switching from toeclips to an SPD system on the road bike (road shoes w/cleats + new pedals).

Initially I wasn't sure since I found myself going the same speed if not slightly slower than my Adidas Kundos in toeclips. I genuinely thought 'what's the point of these?', especially with the dis/engage technique required.

However, it's all in the setup. Commuting over the week I'd arrive home and make various tweaks to saddle height and cleat position until everything felt right and the feet were transferring power to the correct place (I found this to be with the cleat directly under the ball of my foot).

Long ride on Sunday (Evans RideIt: Woking - 57miles) and was very happy with the performance, especially on the climbs where they really came into their own. Afterwards however I had some mild pain in the Iliotibial band; this I attributed to the saddle being slightly too high (in my opinion). Back on the commute Weds, lowered the seat about 1cm (still about 1cm higher than before SPDs) and all is very well. Yesterday I was flying and love the SPD system- feels very comfortable. Scalped quite a few roadies, including two that were blatantly racing each other :tongue:

Anyway, apologies for rambling on, but felt I'd share. Would definitely recommend the switch but they require a little perseverance before the payoff. You'll have to up your game though, they drop your FCN by one point!

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i use them and love them! just need to remember to unclip both feet at lights if ive pushed for a bit, wobbly legs are fun when one of them are still clipped in!!! lol.

am lending my bike with SPD's to my brother for a day or two to see how he gets on with them.

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Haha yes, can relate to the wobbly legs!

Also at one clip in attempt from a traffic light, I went to engage whilst standing, slipped a bit and whacked my nuts on the seat.

Good luck to your bro!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've been using SPDs for a few years now and although I do like the fact that your feet are securely in place and won't slip, I'm still not really convinced they give me any extra in terms of performance.. But I'm pleased your experience has been so positive.

Simply moving from flats to SPDs won't make any difference.

The improvement comes from moving away from the down-down pedal stroke to round-round. This takes a little thinking about and some commitment for it to become natural. Took me months to perfect it. SPDs are very helpful in this regard.

Jdratcliffe

Haha yes, can relate to the wobbly legs!

Also at one clip in attempt from a traffic light, I went to engage whilst standing, slipped a bit and whacked my nuts on the seat.

Good luck to your bro!
done that before or misheard the "click" and pulled foot off the pedal little scary but after a few weeks it goes, been commuting on spds for good 19months now

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
A month or so ago I spent ages looking for some shoes to use just for cycling. Eventually, my LBS persuaded me to try a pair of Shimano spd's. They were convinced I would never change back after trying them. They were right!! they are soooo comfortable. The best thing was, my local cobbler only charged me a fiver to fill in the bottoms and now I wear them all the time. Sorry, but I for one feel more comfortable with clips.

Jdratcliffe

A month or so ago I spent ages looking for some shoes to use just for cycling. Eventually, my LBS persuaded me to try a pair of Shimano spd's. They were convinced I would never change back after trying them. They were right!! they are soooo comfortable. The best thing was, my local cobbler only charged me a fiver to fill in the bottoms and now I wear them all the time. Sorry, but I for one feel more comfortable with clips.
+1 spds just "feel right"

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The improvement comes from moving away from the down-down pedal stroke to round-round. This takes a little thinking about and some commitment for it to become natural. Took me months to perfect it. SPDs are very helpful in this regard.

I've moved from SPD to SPD-SL and have found they are more comfortable for longer distances.

I'm still getting into to the round and round technique. When I concentrate and get my feet rotating going up hill I up my speed a little and find it a lot easier.

Fat B'stard

Regular
Simply moving from flats to SPDs won't make any difference.

I totally agree with the technique post. Once you can concentrate on the round-round technique and it becomes 2nd nature you'll get a much smoother and quicker ride and your legs wont be working so hard either.. a win-win situation

baldycyclist

Über Member
it is when you mis judge the placement back and either crack your bits or get your shin scrapped or ball on your ankle that hurts.

My right foot has changed its angle over the last few months - pointing with the hell slightly out - not sure what is happening or is it old age? Need to readjust the cleat but not sure if my knee will start to get damaged???

D

Deleted member 1258

A few years ago I put SPD's on the Dawes I was using as a best bike then, didn't like them but gave them six months and at the end of the six months I still didn't like them and went back to toeclips. When I brought my Kilmeston eighteen months ago I thought I would give it another try and brought a pair of Time Freerides, I've been using them since I brought the bike and get on better with them, but I'm still not keen on them and if I hadn't spent so much money on pedals and shoes I'd go back to toeclips.

musa

Über Member
I moved from toe clips straight to spd-sl. On my Fixie/ss. Nevered looked no. Recently got a new bike and had to rice with the pedals didn't like it gave me a pain down my foot

I'll recommend it but it's not for everyone

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Needed a loaf so popped out on the commuter wearing normal shoes. Well months on SPD's it was strange and just oddly uncomfortable and in no way natual on flat pedals

Bman

Guru
I moved from toe clips straight to spd-sl. On my Fixie/ss. Nevered looked no. Recently got a new bike and had to rice with the pedals didn't like it gave me a pain down my foot

I'll recommend it but it's not for everyone

Had a few beers tonight? :smile: :cheers:

Top Bottom