Give way for Ambulances?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
''Where could I possibly go?'' er....... how about pull over, out of the way like the other traffic?! Idiot.
Wow - how different is the traffic around Newmarket? I'm only maybe 40 miles away and rather than pull over, the nobber motorists pull onto the cycleway and basically keep going until the ambulance passes, regardless of whether anyone was cycling or walking on the cycleway :sad:

Globalti

Legendary Member
We don't see how much warning the cyclist had of the approaching ambulance but I bet he could have pulled over although as it happens he didn't delay the ambulance any more than the van it overtook.

Nothing to see here, move along.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The story doesn't mention anything about the rider being deaf, so he would have had hundreds of metres of warning.
With the amount of road buzz reaching the camera off those narrow tyres on those roads, he may have been suffering concussion? Also, there seemed to be some selfish motorists blocking the view of the ambulance until the last few seconds and possibly they were using noisy engines that may have partially masked its sound. ;)

Mr Celine

Discordian
None of the other traffic stopped or got out of the way of the ambulance either.
If the ambulance intended turning left at the roundabout indicating such intention might have helped. And precisely what did blowing the horn achieve? The cyclist would have been in the way of the ambulance for far longer if he had stopped as a result of the horn blowing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
People like him give bus inspectors a bad name.

(and thanks for making me click a metro link, I might have gone for months without realizing another royal was engaged)
Who now?

Drago

Legendary Member
None of the other traffic stopped or got out of the way of the ambulance either.
If the ambulance intended turning left at the roundabout indicating such intention might have helped. And precisely what did blowing the horn achieve? The cyclist would have been in the way of the ambulance for far longer if he had stopped as a result of the horn blowing.

Blowing on the horn changes the tone of the wailers.

boydj

Legendary Member

As the cyclist enters the roundabout he passes a small Toyota which has stopped to wait for the ambulance and allows the ambulance to proceed before turning left. I can't believe that the cyclist didn't have time from first hearing the siren to assess the situation and get out of the way. He must have seen the Toyota was waiting.

Sirens and blue lights mean get out of the way as quickly and safely as possible, without necessarily knowing what is going on behind.

Mr Celine

Discordian
As the cyclist enters the roundabout he passes a small Toyota which has stopped to wait for the ambulance and allows the ambulance to proceed before turning left. I can't believe that the cyclist didn't have time from first hearing the siren to assess the situation and get out of the way. He must have seen the Toyota was waiting.

The Toyota wasn't waiting, in fact it never even stops. It appears to have slowed to give way to the vehicle on the roundabout (which does actually stop to give way to the ambulance).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You are approaching a roundabout. You have cars to your left, a big van behind you, and can hear an ambulance. It's not till it is close up that you realise where it is. It's not as easy as a car where you could just stop and be reasonably sure of your safety. What's to stop the van driver running into the back of him or a car hitting him if he stops on roundabout? Not as black and white as it appears.

Top Bottom