Give way for Ambulances?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Some people always give way for ambulances and fire engines, good on them. Some people never give way (for example if they are at red lights) for unmarked police cars until the lights turn green.

Drago

Legendary Member
Some people always give way for ambulances and fire engines, good on them. Some people never give way (for example if they are at red lights) for unmarked police cars until the lights turn green.

And that's quite correct. There is no defence in law if you're caught jumping a red, even to help the emergency services, and if you have a smack doing so you risk being knocked off for dangerous.

To correct method is for the EMS driver to not pressure cars trapped at a red light. They should silence the wailer, keep the strobes going, and wait until the lights turn green. Plenty don't, but that's how it is supposed to be done.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ambulance drivers can be prats as well.

Like on the two occasions where an ambulance has come up behind me while i've been cycling, then puts on the siren,which as you can imagine scares the shoot out of you.

And before anyone says "You should've pulled over" I meant the driver put the siren on to alert vehicles ahead of the ambulance,not me. He/she just thought my hearing and balance or what could've been a lack of it weren't important.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Does anyone, other than myself, have difficulty determining the direction from which sirens (attached to emergency vehicles) are coming, in a situation where you can hear them, but, not see them?

Personally, I would always attempt to get out of the way, if walking, cycling, driving, but, sometimes, it is difficult to determine what "out of the way" is!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not forgetting the car driver who just had to overtake me when pulling to the side to let the cop car pass. Even when they think "Oh it's an emergency vehicle i must immediately pull over to let it pass",they just have to overtake that cyclist first.:rolleyes: So what they do is then create a situation where their vehicle is completely blocking the lane,(instead of half the lane)for a few seconds.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Does anyone, other than myself, have difficulty determining the direction from which sirens (attached to emergency vehicles) are coming, in a situation where you can hear them, but, not see them?

Personally, I would always attempt to get out of the way, if walking, cycling, driving, but, sometimes, it is difficult to determine what "out of the way" is!

Hearing sound direction is all but impossible.

What we tend to do is use our eyes to create an overall picture.

If you are sitting in a room listenting to music, you see two speakers, so you 'know' where the sound is coming from.

In a car, more of the sound will come through the tin roof than the windows, so the feeling is the siren comes from above or all around.

Opening a window will change the picture, but still may not help you determine direction.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
What absolute twaddle. Look up the Doppler Effect for a start.

How does Doppler effect have anything to do with direction?

D

Deleted member 26715

Hearing sound direction is all but impossible.
It is in my case I only have 1 working ear which is devoid of hearing in certain ranges, I cannot determine from which direction a sound comes from without turning my head & then it's still not 100% successful.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Let me draw you a picture....

View attachment 392770

Yes I know what doppler effect actually is, and could no doubt write down the maths, but what has that to do with finding direction?

I concede that if you have perfect pitch you could acertain if it was coming or going, but most of us would only know that when it passes. Direction per se is a different thing?

So, what has that to do with direction?

Top Bottom