Giving away unwanted stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Don't forget that all these consumer items are manufactured by poor people in developing nations, so each time you reuse or recycle a small child in the third world dies.

I very much doubt my pond water was manufactured by poor people in developing nations. I sort of doubt my spin dryer was actually, but I'll see if I can check tonight...:biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
On Freecycle I found a good home for 300 plastic plant pots, from an elderly relative. Also acquired a French encyclopedia (in French - surprise, surprise). I have also rehomed industrial quantities of cardboard and bubble wrap thru Freecycle. :biggrin:

You cannot recycle children on Freecycle, because they do not allow livestock to be "posted" on there.:biggrin:

bonj2

I once got a printer on freecycle. Needless to say, t didn't work. I then once got a nice looking drill on there with 3 functions - it worked once then the battery died and it never worked again. Another time I got a denim jacket on there which was too small, and I also once got another printer which I didn't even bother to test so it sat under my bed for ages until such time as I threw it in the bin.
So I left.

It's amazing though, the number of people who absolutely *NEED* a PS3 because their kids have got bored of their PS2 and are 'running riot' and they can't control them, or people in council houses who say they are "a poor single mother working hard every day with 3 foster kids from deprived backgrounds and live a simple life and go without the modern gadgets of the technological age but would really appreciate it if anybody has any old telly the don't use... oh, must be 32" and HD ready. Ta."

Arch

Married to Night Train
When i joined up I remember the rules stated that anyone who made stupidly greedy requests would be barred. Anyway, so what if they ask, I guess, either no one will reply, or someone will be mug enough to, and that's up to them.

I haven't looked at the bulletins for ages, but I don't remember ever seeing anything I thought was all that greedy.

Why didn't you try the jacket on before accepting it BTW?

sheddy

Legendary Member
As the listings seem to be full of wanted items, it's annoying that they can't have separate OFFERED and WANTED sections

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Joined a couple of months ago.
Cooker had died and I couldn't be bothered to take it to the dump - 2 days later someone had picked it up for scrap.
A week later, I was replacing the washing machine, ours was OK, but a relative had gone down south and left a 4 month old one behind. Managed to give our old one to someone who'd advertised wanting one a few days before.
Manure for the allotment is coming from someone who advertised on there (or rather from her horses!;))

Best was, I put a *wanted* ad on. Project bike, no suspension. Something to play about with, to build a hackbike. Sort of thing that if its nicked outside the shop, I'm not too bothered.

Got a mail back. Womans ex had a bike, its been in the shed 12 years and the sheds collapsing. Get it Saturday, cos Sunday its in the skip.

Turns out theres 3 bikes, all Raleighs. A womans roadie/tourer, an Activator (not the '2' with suspension) and a Triton Firepower. The sheds about to fall down, no door not much roof left and my foot went throught the floor. Webs all over everything, leaves all over the webs. Almost left them, but thought 'sod it'. Took the wheels off and threw them in the car.

The womans roady is now in the shed, my next project. The frame of the Activator is on its way to the skip (rust and way to heavy)

The tritons now my hackbike. Had a spare chain and a spare pair of Wellgo platforms. Cost me £3 for a new pair of gear cables off Ebay.:biggrin: (plenty of common spares off the activator as well)

Night Train

Maker of Things
I got both my three seat sofas on Freecycle. I also got a three seat leather sofa for my ex which we then moved on again when she replaced it. I have also got a load of bikes for my workshop project.

Top Bottom