Giving up golf for cycling/running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
After a long hard think about an on going shoulder issue (and doctors / physios not getting anywhere) I've decided to give up on golf and focus on fitness. I'm hoping to raise some pennies by selling the golf gear and saving towards a road bike.

Has anyone else come to cycling after quitting other sports?

Steve H

Large Member
Yep. I was big into racquet sports. Played both squash and badminton for local leagues. Had to give up after developing a wrist problem. Frustrating at first, but don't really miss it now

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
After a long hard think about an on going shoulder issue (and doctors / physios not getting anywhere) I've decided to give up on golf and focus on fitness. I'm hoping to raise some pennies by selling the golf gear and saving towards a road bike.

Has anyone else come to cycling after quitting other sports?
Good decision . You will definitively get fitter riding a bike. My stepson plays golf several times a week but his fitness doesn't improve due to spending too much time drinking after golf.

potsy

Rambler
Golf is a poncy shat etiquette driven ruinus walk.

Now, make sure you wave to every other cyclist when you're out on your bike. Oh, and don't wear team kit as you will look a tool.

:whistle:
What's up did they turn down your application to the local club? :tongue:

I gave up golf just after I started cycling, not really related to each but was just getting fed up with the game.

OP
OP
Kevoffthetee

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I like golf, I just wont to do something knowing I'm not 100% and be worried about my shoulder every time is swing a club, therefor all my golf gear has been put up for sale

My only issue with cycling is now I want a bike upgrade as lilac isn't my colour and Im too impatient to wait to sell the gear

Last edited:
I gave up golf after breaking my elbow in a cycling crash.

I was down to a 14 handicap at one point and used to enjoy it, in fact I did try and continue but as I don't quite have 100% extension of my right arm anymore my swing just felt wrong after the accident, plus I was getting bored with it anyway by that time.

Clubs need to get real and understand that most folk can't afford to pay crazy joining fees along with high monthly subs, and if they don't re-assess how they do business there's going to be a lot of clubs closing in the coming years. That said most clubs around here have dropped joining fees to be fair, but they still need much more new blood, and lower subs seems to me to be the easiest way to swell numbers, but I know I couldn't afford to still be a club member if I was still playing.

That said I couldn't afford to re-buy my bike today TBH either :sad: Luckily it's mine so I don't have to ^_^

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I like golf, I just wont to do something knowing I'm not 100% and be worried about my shoulder every time is swing a club, therefor all my golf gear has been put up for sale

My only issue with cycling is now I want a bike upgrade as lilac isn't my colour and Im too impatient to wait to sell the gear
Interest free credit (card) :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Interestingly golf club membership in Scotland is down 20% and English and Welsh clubs are feeling the strain too. I believe cycling is taking over from golf as the sport for men with time and cash to spare.

The Bracken Ghyll golf club in Addingham has reluctantly agreed, with some trepidation, to allow cyclists to camp and use the clubhouse for the Grand Depart because Addingham gets the tour both days. They will do well out of it at £200 a pitch of 6 people.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I played golf (using the term very loosely!) for a few years before I got more into cycling. I like motorcycling too, and I was finding that there simply weren't enough rain free days off to do all three. Golf was the one I was least interested in, so I didn't renew my club membership. Can't say I have missed it at all. I had a round about a year ago, my first outing for about 2 years. Suffice to say I didn't enjoy it much and won't be in a hurry to repeat the experience.
I can't be bothered with some of the BS that goes with golf, including the dress code. Met a lot of self important nobbers who seemed to think that you had to play golf to hold any sort of position in society.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I was a single figure handicap golfer and a fully qualified club builder. No longer playing due to switching to cycling.

But still build and sell clubs

Ladep Rewop

I realise different people have different demands on the amount of free time and income to spend on leisure activities but I don't share the view that you have to give up golf or indeed other sports in order to cycle, I play golf to a single figure handicap and cycle between 4 - 5000 miles annually, Don't really enjoy either when it's lashing with rain so will go for a swim instead on days that are a washout.

Top Bottom