Giving up golf for cycling/running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Somebody will be along eventually to tell you that there is no physical exertion involved, these are the people that haven't tried dragging or carrying a bag full of clubs and all the other bits and bobs up and down the sides of a mountain :sweat:
they can tell me what they like - the definition also involves the word skill and golf is definatley a game of that

OP asked "Has anyone else come to cycling after quitting other sports?"

Although I did ride a bike occasionally, I have done more since giving up canoeing\kayaking about 3 years ago.

Another poster mentioned how kitesurfing took up a lot of time, and for me canoeing was the same. The total time away from home, even for about an hour's paddle on a local river, amounted to half a day away from the family, and I no longer felt I could justify the time. By contrast, I could get on the bike right outside our front door, ride for an hour, and be back home at the end of the hour. A quick shower and I was available for other family duties straight away.

Peteaud

Veteran
If i ever get bored of cycling i am going to try wrestling.

After all, i have the spankly lycra, and i am 1/2 way to having a fat gut, so a few more cakes and im there.

P.S - Darts is not, nor ever will be, a sport.

jowwy

If i ever get bored of cycling i am going to try wrestling.

After all, i have the spankly lycra, and i am 1/2 way to having a fat gut, so a few more cakes and im there.

P.S - Darts is not, nor ever will be, a sport.

what is it then Petaud??? is it not a game of skill were two people compete against each other for peoples entertainment???

do you not think that standing at a dart board for 5/6 hours a day is not physically exerting??? have you tried it and then seen how your arms, kneck and lower back feel the next day............

the term sport never mentions the word excercising it says exertion - two different words indeed

potsy

Rambler
What about crown green bowls, you have to be at least 70 before they let you start playing that :tongue:

Peteaud

Veteran
what is it then Petaud??? is it not a game of skill were two people compete against each other for peoples entertainment???

do you not think that standing at a dart board for 5/6 hours a day is not physically exerting??? have you tried it and then seen how your arms, kneck and lower back feel the next day............

the term sport never mentions the word excercising it says exertion - two different words indeed

I don't know any darts players who spend 5/6 hours a day at it. Most who play Darts (like i used to) do it for a bit of fun in the pub. Its a skill yes, the same as snooker etc, but i doubt whether the BMA would class it as sport / exercise.

Is chess a sport, is tiddlywinks a sport? have you ever tried winking for 6 hours a day, your wrists really ache.

vickster

Legendary Member
What would you class them as then vickster?????
Sports, it was a response to crankarm not you

The last one could possibly be a classed more as a drain on society and resources

Actually motor racing is utterly pointless IMO

jowwy

I don't know any darts players who spend 5/6 hours a day at it. Most who play Darts (like i used to) do it for a bit of fun in the pub. Its a skill yes, the same as snooker etc, but i doubt whether the BMA would class it as sport / exercise.

Is chess a sport, is tiddlywinks a sport? have you ever tried winking for 6 hours a day, your wrists really ache.
i'm pretty sure the pro darts guys spend at least 5/6 hours a day practicing, the same as snooker players etc etc

and ive never seen chess or tiddlywinks on any sports chanel, but i have seen poker ( game of skill or luck of the cards) you decide

jowwy

Sports, it was a response to crankarm not you

The last one could possibly be a classed more as a drain on society and resources

Actually motor racing is utterly pointless IMO
my apologies vickster i thought you was stating they werent a sport :hugs:

Top Bottom