Gizmo that automatically sends your location to emergency services

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G2EWS

It is in fact already there!

All the main providers have the ability to track your phone's position already in place.
The accuracy depends on how many bases stations there are near your position and how well the signal can be triangulated.

Already explained that one!!

Regards

Chris

Grizzly

The modern PLBs only weigh 250g are 70mm x 135mm x 38mm are advertised as pocket devices and don't require immersion to activate.

snorri what do you think of this? I'm not sure as you would have to be conscious to activate it but I guess you could have an agreement with her indoors that you send an "I'm OK" message at agreed times and if you are conscious there is am SOS button. Although I would still be interested to know how the emergency services get the signal, would it be registered to you and the signal picked up by ARCC?

snorri

Legendary Member
snorri what do you think of this?
I really don't know, it would not be the first time that emergency services have been out looking for someone who was not in any trouble other than his electronics had failed and he was unable to make that 'I am ok' call.
I tend to be a bit old school and travel optimistically, it's not going to happen to me^_^, I haven't got around to buying a mobile 'phone yet.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Having once witnessed the embarrassing spectacle of a mountain biker calling out an ambulance because he had fallen off and scuffed a hole in his tights and grazed his knee, I really don't think widespread use of these would be a good idea at all. We are already reading reports of walkers in the mountains calling for help on their mobiles because they feel a bit lost.

Grizzly

Having once witnessed the embarrassing spectacle of a mountain biker calling out an ambulance because he had fallen off and scuffed a hole in his tights and grazed his knee, I really don't think widespread use of these would be a good idea at all. We are already reading reports of walkers in the mountains calling for help on their mobiles because they feel a bit lost.

In my experience fannies will always find a way to call 999, whilst genuine people don't want to bother anyone. I think kit that help genuine members of the public in times of need is a good thing.

Top Bottom