Glasgow-based mechanic required for piece jobs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I need two mechanics for unpacking and assembling 7 bikes on 9 July and then again on 18 July, to disassemble and pack those same bikes into bike boxes for air travel.

The customer is a tour group of cyclists arriving from abroad. I need someone to unpack their bikes and assemble them properly. Assembly will probably just comprise fitting pedals, seats, turn handlebars and possible fit chains and rear jockey bolts. at the end of the tour, the reverse has to happen again.

The bikes would have been packed before departure, probably by the customer themselves and could arrive here in any state of assembly or disassembly. I've seem some incredible packing techniques over the years, so expect anything. There will be some precious ones, so expect lots of bubble wrap and high expectations and fuss.

I'll need one proper* mechanic and an able assistant. I can't take chances with someone who doesn't understand headset adjustment, torque, gear checking etc. I don't want customers complaining about the assembly and there is only one chance of getting it right. Nobody on tour would like to return to base for a readjustment.

They arrive on 9 July and will stay at Mar Hall in Clydebank. They'll depart from there as well, on 18 July. Times to be confirmed.

We can confirm a fee once we are in discussion.

Apply within, as they say. You'll have your own tools and work stands.

*Proper means proper. Professional or serious, capable amateur. I'd like you to do some customer interfacing as well, by way of handing over the bike and asking the customer to check X,Y and Zee if it is to his liking. Yes, it is an all-male group.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
1st of all, you can't afford me.

2nd, not on my patch.

3rd, why are you not doing this yourself?

4th, this is not just an assembly job, but could easily be a 'service while you are at it' job. There is no knowing what state these bikes might be in on arrival and clean doesn't necessarily mean looked after. You expect them to be turned out with slick shifting and straight wheels when we don't know how competent the owners are at looking after their bikes. These bikes need to work but it could actually be akin to attempting to polish a turd!

5th, is an internet forum of weird, random strangers really the place to be recruiting someone that is possibly critical to the operation?

Good luck (perhaps making the above points makes me the ideal candidate?).

OP
OP
Yellow Saddle
1st of all, you can't afford me.

2nd, not on my patch.

3rd, why are you not doing this yourself?

4th, this is not just an assembly job, but could easily be a 'service while you are at it' job. There is no knowing what state these bikes might be in on arrival and clean doesn't necessarily mean looked after. You expect them to be turned out with slick shifting and straight wheels when we don't know how competent the owners are at looking after their bikes. These bikes need to work but it could actually be akin to attempting to polish a turd!

5th, is an internet forum of weird, random strangers really the place to be recruiting someone that is possibly critical to the operation?

Good luck (perhaps making the above points makes me the ideal candidate?).

1) OK
2) I never knew you had a patch.
3) Because I'll be hobnobbing with the clients sipping whisky and can't be in two places at the same time.
4) Yes, it is an assembly job because I control the quality of input bike at the other end. No service is implied or promised.
5) The risk is mine.

If that was an application, better you get your agent to send my agent your CV.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Yellow Saddle contact Donald at Cycleform in Clydebank.
He is a Velotech teacher, I did my Bronze with him.
You'll have your own tools and work stands.
Our own @flyingfifi works as a bike mechanic, has umpteen certificates, but no car: would she have to bring along her stand and tools?
Would you give her a lift?
What kind of foreigners? Do you need translators? I am a foreigner too, if you pay me I could translate and pump up tyres ^_^

OP
OP
Yellow Saddle
@Yellow Saddle contact Donald at Cycleform in Clydebank.
He is a Velotech teacher, I did my Bronze with him.

Our own @flyingfifi works as a bike mechanic, has umpteen certificates, but no car: would she have to bring along her stand and tools?
Would you give her a lift?
What kind of foreigners? Do you need translators? I am a foreigner too, if you pay me I could translate and pump up tyres ^_^

Thanks Pat. This is constructive. I'll catch you on PM, rather than feeding the popcorn munchers in public.

Reactions: gbb
You're gonna hire Pat and Flyingfifi. Is it a new Carry On film you're making? You can just see Fifi pulling a wheel out the box, hitting Pat with it and Pat falling backwards onto the travelator and back through the baggage curtain, legs and arms akimbo as Fifi looks around puzzled to see where she's gone.

OP
OP
Yellow Saddle
You're gonna hire Pat and Flyingfifi. Is it a new Carry On film you're making? You can just see Fifi pulling a wheel out the box, hitting Pat with it and Pat falling backwards onto the travelator and back through the baggage curtain, legs and arms akimbo as Fifi looks around puzzled to see where she's gone.

Sounds like I better bring a video crew.

boydj

Legendary Member
Small point, Mar Hall isn't in Clydebank, it's between Erskine and Bishopton on the other side of the Clyde, close to the south side of the Erskine Bridge. I've played golf there and cycled past many times.

I'd offer to help as I live reasonably close and I'm retired, but I've no idea what my family plans might be this far out. If you post a reminder in June, then I should know my availability

boydj

Legendary Member
I'd come down the back road past the airport from Paisley - it's a regular route for me as I'm originally from Clydebank and, until recently, still had relatives there.

Top Bottom