Glasgow to Inverness cycle tour help (wild camping + bike transport)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
Hello all,

Some of you may remember me asking about wild camping options in Perth when planning a cycling tour last year between Edinburgh and Inverness. Well I thoroughly enjoyed that tour, and my tales of it to the cycling club I'm involved in has piqued some interest, and it looks like I've got a few people interested in accompanying me on my next adventure. So the questions I have are:

• What's the best way to get the bikes up to Glasgow (from Leighton Buzzard) and then back down from Inverness? When I was on my tod it was pretty simple, stick it on the train. There's probably going to be at least three of us this time though and barring us getting different trains there's not much chance of getting the bikes up there and back via railway. Would chatting up bike shops in Glasgow/Inverness for them to take delivery/send them back be an option? I'm friends with the owner of the LBS so I'm sure I could get us some cardboard bike boxes from there. Anyway, very open to suggestions.
  • Wild camping - I'm looking at maps trying to work out if I can wild camp in certain spots, but some local knowledge would be really helpful. Here are the two places I'm unsure of-
  • Succoth:
    upload_2019-1-22_21-40-38.png
  • This end point near Fort Augustus:
    upload_2019-1-22_21-41-6.png
Thanks for your help! Means a lot to me.

Slick

Guru
https://www.paisleyfreight.com

This mob will take your bikes wherever you want to go and there's a cracking ride along Loch Lomond from Glasgow to Arrochar although the last couple of miles could be hairy at busy times.

Loads of spots in and around that area for wild camping.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Didn't think it was @rualexander but it turns out that the Succoth spot is inside the management zone, oops. Just discovered Glen Loin campsite though, not sure how I missed that. Looks like a good option. Thanks for the suggestion @Slick :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Send them Via GLS to a GLS depot. They will keep thsm there for up to 10 days.

Join Warmshowers and find someone who will store the bikes for you.

PaulLee

Regular
SLM Cycle Transport is based in the Glasgow area and transports cyclists and their bikes to/from Inverness, but it's expensive. Ticket To Ride is a similar service base in Inverness. I don't know how far afield they go.

Top Bottom