Glass on the path!

If you see glass across the path, do you...

• Stop to check your tyres, then carry on.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Check your tyres, then warn other cyclists that you pass.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Check your tyres , then sweep it out of the way with your feet/ piece of twig/rubbish

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Feel pleased you didn't get caught out, then forget about it as it's not your problem.

Votes: 19 39.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
I nearly got caught out by a large amount of glass on the path today, at the top of a slight hill, looked like a smashed wine bottle, but I had just been passed by several cyclists coming the other way who didn't say anything!
I stopped to clear the path with my shoes( sturdy lace-ups) and a piece of plastic take -away rubbish, but I had ridden through half of it before I spotted it! I got off quickly and ran the wheels over some grass to wipe anything that might have stuck on.

Actually I do 3 first then 2.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hard to believe that I have never seen Glass on cycle path in Denmark in 13 years. I saw some on a cycle path in Palma and borrowed a brush from a cafe to sweep it up.
It's yet another mainly British disease, seemingly. I cycled 450+ miles in Florida last month on a variety of roads and paths, a lot of it in built up areas. I saw one broken bottle (probably the work of a British visitor :whistle:).
I've also done a lot of miles in France and you just don't see broken glass. Then you come home and tackle any cycle path within 30 miles of here and you're pretty much guaranteed several encounters with broken bottles.:angry:

snorri

Legendary Member
I get off my seat and pedal on tiptoes to lessen the weight on my bike thus reducing the risk of damaging tyres. I tend to assume if I have seen the glass then other cyclists will have seen it too.
I'm reminded of being asked by a foreign cycle tourist in Newcastle why there was glass on the path up from the ferry terminal. It was lucky for me he didn't ask about the craters in the path caused by the locals having bonfires which melted the tarred surface, that would have been even more difficult to explain:sad:.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I do the sweeping whenever possible, would warn other cyclists if there was any about - not a given here!

I go past a pub and through a pedestrian underpass, you frequently get broken glass at both places. I think people smash bottles in tunnels cos the glass goes "Tinkle tinkle" in a manner that's quite pleasing. Last option, I just ride round it and carry on, what am I, unpaid road sweeper? The nerve.

Idoru

Option 3 and then 2, I try to do the same with the thorns that the farmers leave behind when they cut the hedges (probably just a lot of option 2).

What with thorns, glass, massive pot holes, dog eggs, dogs on invisible enxtending leads, dogs not on leads etc, I try to avoid bike paths altogether now, which is a shame.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
My ride from Dartford to Greenwich last Friday would have taken twice as long if I'd stopped to clean up every bit of glass on the cycle path. I didn't see any other bikes in useful places to warn although I'm guessing as we'd be going in opposite directions all they'd get is "...lass on the path up..." as we passed each other. Or is there a hand signal?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
If you stopped for all the glass on the cycle paths round here you'd never get anywhere. I tend to try remember where it is so I can use the other side of the path next time I'm passing.

And the one time I tried to warn another cyclist he looked at me as if I was stupid so I don't bother now.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I do a variety of things but if I think it's worth it I report it on Fix My Street and especially if it's on a cycle lane, I reported one last month with was in a cycle contra flow with a kerb either side meaning it was almost impossible to avoid. Seemed to gone the next time I passed that spot.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hard to believe that I have never seen Glass on cycle path in Denmark in 13 years. I saw some on a cycle path in Palma and borrowed a brush from a cafe to sweep it up.
It's yet another mainly British disease, seemingly.
I've also done a lot of miles in France and you just don't see broken glass. Then you come home and tackle any cycle path within 30 miles of here and you're pretty much guaranteed several encounters with broken bottles.:angry:
All hail the countries who still have return deposits on bottles...

Top Bottom