Glass on the path!

If you see glass across the path, do you...

• Stop to check your tyres, then carry on.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Check your tyres, then warn other cyclists that you pass.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Check your tyres , then sweep it out of the way with your feet/ piece of twig/rubbish

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Feel pleased you didn't get caught out, then forget about it as it's not your problem.

Votes: 19 39.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I get off my seat and pedal on tiptoes to lessen the weight on my bike thus reducing the risk of damaging tyres.

Whilst I can see this may balance the weight slightly better between the wheels than being sat above the rear wheel, the weight carried by the bike won't change :smile:

This doesn't reduce the weight on the bike, but it does reduce the impact when you ride over bumps or small objects (e.g. glass), because standing up in the saddle turns your legs into giant springs. Well, that's my semi-technical theory, anyway. :smile:
I don't know what pedaling on tiptoes would do, though, apart from wearing out your Achilles tendons.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tonnes of glass on the Fallowfield loop. Tends to be near the supermarket in Fallowfield. Saw a load of smashed glass too late on Friday and went straight through. It's been the reason I've switched to Durano Plus tyres as the glass was shredding my Pro4 Endurance. The Duranos have some big cuts in but nothing has got through the smart guard yet !

HOU5EY

Would anybody pay an extra couple of pounds council tax a month if the road sweepers went up and down the cycle paths? I know the glass is something that could be avoided if thugs didnt feel the need to smash bottles but I find thorns to be an equal annoyance at certain times of the year.

andyfraser

Über Member
Would anybody pay an extra couple of pounds council tax a month if the road sweepers went up and down the cycle paths? I know the glass is something that could be avoided if thugs didnt feel the need to smash bottles but I find thorns to be an equal annoyance at certain times of the year.
I'd pay. It might be more than a couple of pounds here though. Once out of the town centre there are cycle paths everywhere. Because a lot of them are shared use it would also help pedestrians. I worry more about a young child falling on the glass than my tyres.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Normally just carry on, but there was one incident last year ...

I was close-passed rather aggressively by a pickup truck on a smallish road. Round the next bend was a freshly smashed bottle in the road, which was still wet from the contents. I came to the conclusion that it had been thrown from the truck. In that case I stopped and kicked the glass from the road and warned a passing rider.

But normally, I just press on.

That was a road, mind, not a cycle path. On paths I kind of expect it.

HOU5EY

I often wonder if like road tax you could pay cycle tax which let's face it would be a fraction of what we pay to keep a car on the road how many people would sack off driving. If they could make sure cycle paths were well maintained then I think it would make a lot of people question how much they really need a car

bianchi1

Guru
I often wonder if like road tax you could pay cycle tax which let's face it would be a fraction of what we pay to keep a car on the road how many people would sack off driving. If they could make sure cycle paths were well maintained then I think it would make a lot of people question how much they really need a car

There are a couple problems with this idea.....I'll let others point them out, but the challenge is to do it without using the letters T, A or X.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

There are lots of problems with this. Administration costs for one. Not enough cyclists to make it pay and having to pay more tax would put some people off cycling. Its a very complicated issue, I think.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
If alcohol was only allowed to be sold in boxes or cans instead of fragile glass bottles, there wouldn't be a problem. As a bonus, there'd be a lot less wounded patients in A&E after a Saturday night piss up, as well.

If it were outside my home or business premises, I would sweep it up. If it's on a public right of way, but not directly outside a residence or business, the council should clear it up. Every day on my commute I see an old chap sweeping his drive way, I used to chuckle to myself at first thinking he was an idiot, now I see why he does it... (although daily is rather excessive)

Some people do not take pride in their homes/areas anymore which is a massive shame. If they did, you'd probably find the value of these properties increase significantly. There needs to be greater focus on community spirit, rather than paying some else (tax) to sort the problems of city living.

Top Bottom