Glass.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
It would help if people read the fecking thread.... :rolleyes:

Umm, User? Perhaps you could take your own advice: from the SA article you linked to:

Like liquids, these disorganized solids can flow, albeit very slowly. Over long periods of time, the molecules making up the glass shift themselves to settle into a more stable, crystallike formation, explains Ediger. The closer the glass is to its glass-transition temperature, the more it shifts; the further away from that changeover point, the slower its molecules move and the more solid it seems.

Which is correct. The viscosity (a measure of how easily it flows) of glass decreases exponentially with temperature. Which means it flows visibly at about 800 C but very, very slowly at room temperature. Its viscosity at room temperature is something like 16 orders of magnitude greater than water, so in practice you're not going to observe it even over timescales of hundreds of years. But it does still flow.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Prince Rupert's drops anyone? lots on youtube; this is the first one I found.

View: https://youtu.be/xe-f4gokRBs

Last edited:

Wobblers

Euthermic

It's still flow. If you ever do rheology, you'll find that everything flows. And that has profound consequences. Such as, why there are volcanic hotspots (because the solid mantle is actually in vigourous turbulent convection) or why we have mountains (because continential crust is made of materials - quartz and feldspar - that cannot support a load over very short geological timescales.)

Would you like me to continue whilst you roll your eyes?

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Actually it can be both, it depends on the production of the glass and the glass transition point.
Basically, old glass from years ago used to be a liquid, you can see a tear drop shape on old glass pains as it has flowed. As science evolved and other additives were used this changed the structure of the glass which stopped the issue, basically increasingly transition temperature (moving from solid to liquid). Newer glass would therefore be deemed as a solid.

Tim Hall

It's still flow. If you ever do rheology, you'll find that everything flows. And that has profound consequences. Such as, why there are volcanic hotspots (because the solid mantle is actually in vigourous turbulent convection) or why we have mountains (because continential crust is made of materials - quartz and feldspar - that cannot support a load over very short geological timescales.)

Would you like me to continue whilst you roll your eyes?
Eye roll or ellipses. You choose.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Didn't somebody say that if glass had been invented in the 21st century, it would have quickly been banned on Health and Safety grounds? I still find it slightly scary but stained glass is rather fun.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Nothing stopping it being banned, at least for new applications.

Top Bottom