GlobeCycle - Round the World Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stewie griffin

Über Member
Crackle said:
So, he had a rough time in India but he's still on track. Oz now.

Not too sure about that, I'm not bright enough ;) to work it out but someone said the "where in the world" Google map mileage includes the flights? Is that correct?

On his blog (Twitter bit) three days ago, day 64(?) he said "passed third of total mileage", which would suggest the map millage is wrong, but still a total of 192 days at the same rate, beating the record.:blush:

I get the impression from the blog he's self supported, then he mentions his brothers support, does he have support crew or vehicle?

Bloody amazing effort, got to take your hat off to that kind of determination.

As far as I can tell the map mileage is not his cycling mileage. I think the device he uses for the map is for following him and as part of his proof to Guiness Records. He's unsupported on the ride but I'm sure he has a support team at home giving advice and sorting out admin etc..

CeeDee51

stewie griffin said:
Not too sure about that, I'm not bright enough :biggrin: to work it out but someone said the "where in the world" Google map mileage includes the flights? Is that correct?

On his blog (Twitter bit) three days ago, day 64(?) he said "passed third of total mileage", which would suggest the map millage is wrong, but still a total of 192 days at the same rate, beating the record.:angry:

I get the impression from the blog he's self supported, then he mentions his brothers support, does he have support crew or vehicle?

Bloody amazing effort, got to take your hat off to that kind of determination.

I am a friend of his brother and he is in Truro! No support vehicle, just James!

dodgy

Something I still don't understand on these around the world record breaking trips. There is no real route that you can follow, there will have to be ferries, air travel etc. This new record attempt starts in France, though others have started in the UK, it all seems arbitrary and you could argue that record X was faster than Y because Y was a more difficult/hilly/whatever route?

Anyone know the answer?

Greenbank

Über Member
dodgy said:
Something I still don't understand on these around the world record breaking trips. There is no real route that you can follow, there will have to be ferries, air travel etc. This new record attempt starts in France, though others have started in the UK, it all seems arbitrary and you could argue that record X was faster than Y because Y was a more difficult/hilly/whatever route?

Anyone know the answer?

The record has a specific set of rules set out by Guinness World Records.

An overview would be:-

Start/finish at same point.
Minimum of 18,000 miles in a predominantly easterly (or westerly if you go the other way) direction. You don't get any recognition of any distance going 'backwards'.
Proof of distance and visits to various places required (photos, signatures of witnesses, receipts, etc). Daily log/journal to be kept with all details. Most also use a GPS tracker.
Must visit two antipodal points within 5 degrees of each other. Usually Seville in Spain and Auckland in NZ.
The clock stops only when you board a flight or ferry. It starts again when you land. (Or something like that).

So, there's quite a bit of freedom in what you choose to do, especially in Asia.

There is no "I was faster because I went 300 miles further but only took one day longer". The record is the time it takes you to get back to the start. If you choose to do more than 18,000 miles then that's your decision. MB did an extra 300 miles just to make sure that if there were any problems with any of his journal/proof, or he'd got the mileage wrong then he wouldn't lose out by being under-distance.

skwerl

Greenbank said:
James may not hold the record for long.

There's another bloke setting out in 5 days time hoping to beat both Mark Beaumont's record and the expected record that James will set.

hmm. his manifesto is quite disturbing. Too much of a rant, if you ask me. It's a bit contrived. He works as a messenger in London, no doubt earning a living delivering stuff for all the companies he claims to despise.

skwerl said:
hmm. his manifesto is quite disturbing. Too much of a rant, if you ask me. It's a bit contrived. He works as a messenger in London, no doubt earning a living delivering stuff for all the companies he claims to despise.

OK I never read that previously. What a muppet.

Top Bottom