GlobeCycle - Round the World Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
Well he's in Portugal, with an anticipated 11 days to go.
Which, I think, puts him on course to beat Beaumonts record by 21 days:ohmy::biggrin:

And that other chap isn't doing half bad either. Half way around in 83 days. Interesting that he's taken a very different route. No Australia for him but a big curving route through canada and the US. On course to sneak in front of James if everything continues as is.

Beaumont has really started something here:biggrin:

dpiper

On the where in the world is James site, the tracker adds his 'in air' miles to his total, so unless I'm very much mistaken he is way off the record as he's about 7000 miles short on distance pedalled.

On his first leg in Europe he seemed to be averaging about 85 miles / day.

Can anyone correct or update this?

Joe

Über Member
I don't think he's that short, on his twitter on 02/09 he said he'd clocked 16,233, with 200 left to the end of the US and 1880 from portugal to home.
So assuming he is on track in terms of mileage and gets in when he has said he will (16/09) then he will beat the record by 21 or 22 days.
I think:laugh:

darkstar

wow really looks like he's going to smash it, i thought it was breakable but not by this magnitude! Good for this fella, it's for a good cause as well.
Does seem this round the world cycling is all the range after beaumont! On that note has anyone been keeping up with Mark Beaumont, he's cycling the Americas, From Alaska all the way down to souther America.

skwerl said:
hmm. his manifesto is quite disturbing. Too much of a rant, if you ask me. It's a bit contrived. He works as a messenger in London, no doubt earning a living delivering stuff for all the companies he claims to despise.

Crackle said:
OK I never read that previously. What a muppet.

I agree, the "Julian" guy has a strange attitude. The fact his blog is called "Not for Charity" seems to sum up his uncharitable observations. He even prefaces his blog by saying it goes against his philosphy to write one! Why so bl**dy miserable on such an incredible undertaking?

James Bowthorpe on the other hand seems someone you can join in with and empathise with. His writing is stylish and draws you in. I applaud his motivation and the cause he supports.

Naturally I hope both riders finish safely but I know who would be the more popular and respected record holder.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
James Bowthorpe is on the ferry from Le Havre to Portsmouth. He is meeting people at 7 tomorrow morning to ride to London. If he gets to London he'll break the record by about 3 weeks. Well done fella, chapeau. Much respect.

dodgy

Fantastic effort, well done James. I know that Mark Beaumont has been supportive, too. Great sportsmanship.

I've heard him featured on the news a few times today. Fantastic effort. Now do you think this other fella will beat him?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i hope this develops into something more. a regular thing like other endurance races. big sponsors getting involved. mark and james are pioneers. surely it can only be a good thing can it?

Top Bottom