glow in the dark helmet?

A glow in dark helmet for roughly same price as a normal helmet - would you choose the glow option?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
hi all!

i'm researching a new technology photoluminescent cycle helmet - no power/batts and NOT a reflective, normal hi-viz thing but where the actual material of the helmet emits a 'cool' glow at night.

like a cycle helmet made of kryptonite!

in the daylight it would look like your usual style/colour/quality helmet but at night the base material would 'glo'.

if the same price as a 'normal' helmet would you choose the 'glo' option for extra night time safety?

yes? no? maybe?

your thoughts welcome. thanks!

I interpreted this as, glow-in-the-dark helmet.

Good for Halloween, but not much else unless they emit a significant amount of light (which glow-in-the-dark stuff doesn't).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Poll exists here (posted 1 hour prior to this thread), with a "No" option: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/glow-in-the-dark-helmet.127198/

OP
OP
andyb202

andyb202

hi all!
yes? no? maybe?

your thoughts welcome. thanks!

-------
PLEASE READ -

CLARIFICATION - the 'glo' element would be IN ADDITION TO the standard hi - viz reflectors etc that are already on most helmets. the difference is that the actual 'base' material would also glow at night. very cool!

andy

simon.r

Person
Possibly, but I'd need convincing of the advantages over reflective material.

The subject of helmets divides opinion amongst cyclists and I'd suggest that those of us who do wear helmets tend to be the type of cyclists who wear other hi-viz / reflective clothing anyway, which work very well when picked up by car headlights.

I'm not sure how a 'glow in the dark' material would be any better than existing hi-viz / reflectives?

My main deciding factor when buying a helmet is fit / comfort, so regardless of anything else any glow in the dark helmet would need to at least equal the other options.

snorri

Legendary Member
What makes it glow, and what are the longer term health implications of having this material giving off a glow from a point so close to the brain?

mattobrien

Guru
My new bike has the aghast paintwork, which glows in the dark. It arrives next weekend so will be able to report back after then.

As for a glowing helmet, no.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
clearly what we really need are glow in the dark cars and trucks so us 'dangerous and irritating' cyclists will stop smashing into them and damaging their precious paintwork;):whistle:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Nothing like if you don't get the answer you are looking for, ask the question in a different way, while removing the answer option you don't want...
If you're researching a market the interesting question is who will or might buy your product, not who won't.

On the other hand, I do wonder whether the poll closing date is more than a coincidence.

Offer me bicycle paint scheme, shoulder bag, backpack, clothing, panniers or tyres with photoluminescence and i might be interested. But i dont wear a helmet so....

However I reckon that a fair percentage of the sort of urban cyclists who do wear helmets would buy such a thing.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
-------
PLEASE READ -

CLARIFICATION - the 'glo' element would be IN ADDITION TO the standard hi - viz reflectors etc that are already on most helmets. the difference is that the actual 'base' material would also glow at night. very cool!

andy
I'm sure you've already tested this, so if this helmet is next to a helmet covered in reflective material, is it more visible than the reflective one when they are both picked up in car headlights?

Top Bottom