GMP think filtering is illegal and threats of violence are ignored.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I was holding back from commenting on this one as it is a bit too close to home for impartiality and I have previous issues with GMP.

I was doubtful of the claims she was using a phone but in reality it can be clearly seen in the video when paused at the right moment so GMP should have no problem at the very least referring the offender for a driver awareness course, if they were even remotely bothered!
View attachment 472373

Stupid riding from the cyclist IMO. Nothing wrong with filtering but he is to blame for the incident because he failed to move into the correct lane when the time was right and continued to travel in the right-turn lane even when he was going straight across the junction. If you are going to filter that aggressively then you have to take charge, be confident, and be prepared to accept when you have got it wrong and take appropriate mitigation actions. Arguing with other road users when you are clearly in the wrong is not a good look....

On the other hand, the driver made a hash of dealing with the situation. She should be prosecuted or penalised for the phone use. I suspect the threat to 'knock him off' was intended differently but just came out wrong due to the pressure of the situation. Probably was meant more as a 'you will get run over if you keep riding like that' type comment?

Anyway, both deserve to have their heads banged together, might knock some sense into them? This kind of thing is entirely predictable considering the extreme congestion we experience on out inner city streets. The driver should certainly put the phone away and concentrate on what she is doing before she seriously hurts somebody. The cyclist needs to re-assess his need to urgently complete his journey as quickly as possible. It is no use being fast and dead!

I did agree with most of that but also reckon it's a big assumption to what she actually meant when she threatened to knock him off next time. He definitely should have moved back into his own lane in front of her but as I said earlier, a bit strong to be threatened with legal action for mistiming your run.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise how old this was before I responded!

Filtering is tricky, but only because some motorist are impatient and/or totally ignorant of their surroundings. In an ideal world, everyone would be aware of the highway code and permit vulnerable road users to merge back in to flowing traffic. In reality, great care needs to be taken, especially if you are approaching red lights, as you approach motorists are liable to close any gaps at a moments notice, some will not be aware of your approach and close the gap as they anticipate the lights ahead will change, most people are not using their mirrors and will be oblivious to your approach, others may have noticed you closing in and close the gap out of spite. So long as I can get back into primary position in an assertive manner and without too much conflict (subject to road layout) I will filter. It takes experience getting this right, and sometimes unexpected circumstances on the road can mean you're riding between lanes of motorists when you really don't want to be, so you really need to have your wits about you.

With regard to the video, he was cutting it close with that light change, but still IMO it was perfectly acceptable filtering as there was no risk of collision. The motorist clearly didn't appreciate a cyclist, in her mind, 'queue jumping' and potentially slowing her down as she moved off at the lights. Notice the length of time the cyclist is stationary as the white car pulls off. No self respecting careful motorist could claim they hadn't seen the cyclist. Her response is a clear indication of her sense of entitlement to do as she pleased, since he was [sic] in the wrong not riding on the left.

Plenty of times I've had similar experiences with entitled drivers who have honked horns and shouted abuse at me for legitimate filtering. In their warped perspective I am doing them wrong if I prevent them from any rapid acceleration from green lights, these tend to be the drivers that hold the MGIF attitude, and will usually follow with a dangerous punishment pass. These people are idiots and care little about vulnerable road users, only their own sense of entitlement to get about quickly. They treat the road like their personal race track and anyone on a bike slowing them down needs to get out of their way. GMP's judgement on this matter is disappointing. The cyclist merely exclaimed "woah" "There is no law that mandates cyclists to be on the left... are you threatening to assault me?... Bye" That is not a public order offence, ridiculous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom