GMTV now 08.00 Should all cyclists have to take a national cycling test before being allowed on the

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
FFS. Basically we have a right to use the roads and motorists don't like it. We pose virtually no danger to anyone else, unlike motorists. Cycling is not dangerous, cars are, but rather than address the actual source of the danger we are expected to adapt. It's pro car propaganda and patronising ignorant journalism. Placing the onus of responsibility for safety onto the vulnerable group is not the mark of a civilised society. They expect us to wear helmets and hi-viz, and use piss-poor cycling facilities because poor motorists can't be expected to pay attention. Grrr.

To state an obvious response - How is passing a test and getting a nice piece of paper going to protect anyone from being squished by two tons of steel driven by a mobile phone?

We need road regulations and laws properly enforced.
Cameras aren't the 100% solution that we are expected to accept, so we need some other means of achieving this. How about police officers?

Question: Should breakfast TV programmes carry a bull%^&t warning in the lower right corner of the screen.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'd be more than happy to take such a test.

I guarantee that I'll still be treated with a mixture of dangerous indifference by most motorists and outright malice by some. Presumably GMTV's answer to reducing casualties on the road is simply getting everything that isn't motorised off them?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
John the Monkey said:
I'd be more than happy to take such a test.

I guarantee that I'll still be treated with a mixture of dangerous indifference by most motorists and outright malice by some. Presumably GMTV's answer to reducing casualties on the road is simply getting everything that isn't motorised off them?
So would I... assuming that all car drivers were forced to take such a test too, so they have an understanding of what we face each and every day. ;)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
As someone who failed my cycling proficiency test many moons ago, i would be scared to take a test as I could fail. :biggrin:
What then, banned from the roads?

thomas

the tank engine
You know some pedestian's cause chaos on the pavements. What about a national walking test. Or maybe that's too harsh. I know some joggers/runners can overtake some people who cycle - maybe they should have a to be tested.

Ravenz

bl---din test mad in this country - end of

Tony

"Cause chaos on the roads"
Bit like that BBC report on the lad killed in Southampton, where the important part of the story was clearly that drivers were delayed.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Not sure about a test, however wouldn't it be good if all kids in school had to do a Bikeability course as part of the curriculum.
Maybe it could be slotted into the PE timetable, Local companies could be asked to support this by donating Helmets/tabbards and most local police station stores are brimming over with bikes that could be fixed up and used!

Top Bottom