Go faster with Sodium Bicarbonate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Yes, Sodium Bicarbonate is not only a known cure for cramps, but they're saying it makes you go faster too.

I took some yesterday in my water bottle with some Cola, unfortunately, I wasn't quicker than Lance Armstrong.

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2023/03/30/how-to-get-a-performance-boost-from-baking-soda/

But, don't over do it, you only go faster to the toilet.

Quote:
"Unfortunately, consuming so much baking soda can come with some very unpleasant side-effects. Here is a list of the most common according to the research.

Bloating
Abdominal pain
Nausea
Vomiting
Diarrhoea
"

Drago

Legendary Member
I find that crack cocaine gives me a significant performance edge.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Thomas commented that he was "on the bicarb" for the Giro final TT, and that changed his power distribution/endurance, but he didnt think it affcted his overall result - it was just "different". So it's quite well established in the Pro Peloton.

I obviously didn't take enough yesterday. The recommended four to five teaspoons of bicarb is quite a lot, even if it's taken over 3+ hours.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Bloating from sodium bicarb will be the co2 producted as it reacts with stomach acid.
Presumably this can be avoided by mixing it with say, fruit juice, giving it a good stir, letting it settle, and then drinking the solution.

Whether or not there's any performance benefit from that approach... I'm not particularly interested.

Windle

Über Member
I'll stick to adding 1 teaspoon into my scone mix thanks

What? Bicarb or crack?

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
A very small amount of bicarb mixed with a pinch of salt in your bottles is supposedly good if you suffer from cramps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom