Go faster with Sodium Bicarbonate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dose Time: 12:15pm 19-07-2023

I'm currently testing the intestinal effects of ingesting two teaspoons of Bicarb in a Cola drink.

So far so good, but I'll let you know what happens in a very detailed report later. :biggrin:
I will make sure to ride in front of you on our ride at the weekend! :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What’s the point of putting sodium bicarbonate in an acidic drink to take it? You are then not consuming sodium bicarbonate but whatever salt the acid creates (sodium citrate or sodium phosphate for example).

This crossed my mind too. They say the mechanism is "by increasing the ph of the muscles" and it might if you injected it. But if you take it orally, won't it just meet Mr Stomach Acid first?

This crossed my mind too. They say the mechanism is "by increasing the ph of the muscles" and it might if you injected it. But if you take it orally, won't it just meet Mr Stomach Acid first?

Look, this is very simple, I'll do you a quick pictorial:

12970_2021_458_fig1_html-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
What’s the point of putting sodium bicarbonate in an acidic drink to take it? You are then not consuming sodium bicarbonate but whatever salt the acid creates (sodium citrate or sodium phosphate for example).
Bicarb dissolved in water is recommended.
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/boost-your-performance-using-simple-baking-soda/
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/boost-your-performance-using-simple-baking-soda-part-2/

"There are unfortunately some more serious side effects potentially associated with NaHCO3 supplementation. They include muscle cramping and spasms, weakness, tetany, irritability, cardiac rhythm disturbances (which can be fatal), apathy, and seizures."

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Vinegar is an acid which is why he doesn’t ingest alkali as it would dilute his performance

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Dose Time: 12:15pm 19-07-2023

I'm currently testing the intestinal effects of ingesting two teaspoons of Bicarb in a Cola drink.

So far so good, but I'll let you know what happens in a very detailed report later. :biggrin:

Nothing to report, no detrimental intestinal effect while watching TdF on the TV.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The sodium bicarb thing was known when I was doing evening 10s, 14 years ago. The main problem is an urgent need to open the bomb bay doors shortly after the ride or, if you're on a longer TT, during the ride. I never tried it.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Coming up next week......................................................................

Sodium Bicarbonate mixed with orange flavoured gelatin Jelly.

Top Bottom